Dangerous Newbie!! Buying 125gal with 175lbs lr 125lbs ls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obmanta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.

I am getting ready to buy this saturday a 125gal aquarium w/stand 175lbs lr 125lbs ls. I will also be getting a pacific blue tang, 3 chromis, maroon clownfish and a blue damsel. 3 different corals.

The set up comes with 2x175 12k sunburst metal halide lights. CPR CY194 Cyclone Bio-Filter. several different pumps and heater.

I have had a 29gal sw tank before and currently have a 10gal tank set up.

Once I transfer the aquarium I am using RO water from my lfs (salt mixed in)

The questions are:
1. Should I expect the tank to start cycling immeadiatly?
2. What is the best way to place the fish and coral into the tank?
3. What foods or items do I need to make the transition easier for the livestock?

Any advise???

Thanks,

Obmanta

With the amount or lr and ls you're getting the cycle should start pretty quickly, and end quickly as well. However, are you going to cycle the tank with the tang, chromis, clown, damsel and corals? I'd strongly urge against this if so, some may not be able to handle the rise in levels.

I usually go soft corals closer to the light, hard corals about halfway up in the tank.

Pick up some frozen foods or nice greens for the tang.

Problem is, they are being bought with the tank. I do not have anywhere to put them. I do not want to loose them.

Any Ideas?

Obmanta

So this is an established tank? If so, how long has it been set up?

Assuming you answer yes.....

You will probably get a mini cycle due to stirring things up so keep an eye on water parameters and be prepared to do a water change if necessary. You will need to reacclimate the fish. Just like you would a new fish adding it to the tank. As for food, I would feed them whatever they are eating now. Or a good flake food. With the fish you have listed, they don't really need a special diet. What types of corals?

I agree with Fluff on this. She always has great advice.

I would not worry about doing a cycle, because it is an established tank from what I am reading. Try to transport as much of the water that is already in the tank with the fish. That should help to keep everyone pretty happy.

Thanks all for your replies. The tank has been running for 2 1/2 years acording to the owner. The problems is, I cannot transport all of the water when I buy the tank and all of the supplies. I am buying 100 gal of RO water mixed with salt to replace the water in the tank.

That is the problem I run into, with the new water, what problems will I incurr and how do I mitigate the problems?

Thanks,

Obmanta

The water has nothing to do with cycling, Since you are keeping the live sand, live rock, (both kept wet), then you should have no problems. IMHO

Yes, the water is not what the cycle is about. It is good to use as much as you can when changing over to a new tank to match the PH etc.......

But, you will be fine, and should have no cycle since this is an established tank with that amount of LR. :wink:

Ah, thanks folks. I was worried about it.

Now how long do I have to wait until I put in the Fish Recreation Center and exercise bikes?

:)

Thanks,

Obmanta

LOL Right away of course. Just be sure to acclimate. And good luck. Sounds like a great tank!!!

OK now, What is the best way to acclimate the fish and the corals?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!!

Obmanta

I don't know if it's the best way but, here is what I do. I place them in a bucket and run a drip line (airline tubing with a knot tied in it to slow drip) and drip corals over a few hours time (not so long for fish, only about an hour). This gets them used to any changes in the water. Then I float them in the tank til they reach temp before adding them. For new item, I return them to their bags to float. For other thing, I float a plastic tub til it reaches temp. HTH

I would make sure the substrate smells ok too. If the sandbed was not properly maintained, it could have a lot of nasty waiting to be released.

I have moved my tank 3 times with re-using the sand just be aware. You could scoop the top layer of sand off and keep in separate from deeper sand.

HTH

Thanks Fluff. That is the process I will use.

ellisz, I understand what you are saying. I have 125lbs of ls. Now, In a 125gal tank, how high is the sand bed? Not sure of the proper equation.

Fluff and ellisz, do you suggest moving the tank with the sand intact in the tank or digging the sand out of the tank for the move?

Thanks,

Obmanta

Dig it out, NEVER move a tank with anything in it. 8O .

Match the SG, temp, ETc from the old setup, float the fish until the temp is the same and release. Corals Def. drip. but the fish should be fine as long as you match the SG, temp, ph, ETC.

I would have to dig the sand out. A 125 will weigh alot without the sand.

I always just release my livestock back into the tank but I try to re-use 90% or more of my water.

Back
Top Bottom