Dave's 125 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perrdav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've decided to do a slow upgrade to a 125 Gallon reef. So far I have the new tank, canopy, and stand set-up. The tank is a pre-drilled dual overflow style. I have the plumbing pretty much figured out. I have several questions for everyone, but I will start with the a sump question first. My LFS has recommended that I go with 2 sumps, one for each overflow. One sump would be for the refugium and the other for the skimmer. This would require 2 return pumps, which they said would be good in case one failed. They recommended drilling each sump, installing bulkheads and connecting them with spaflex and a union. Has anyone tried this and had success? Seems like a decent idea, but I have no experience with it. Any thoughts?

This is exactly what I did, mainly because I couldn't find one single sump that was big enough for what I wanted to do. I got an Eshopps 30" sump and an Eshopps 30" refugium and tied them together with 2 bulkheads.
I thought it was a great idea, and honestly thought of it myself. :)
My returns run to the middle. Sump with filter sock and skimmer runs to the left, refugium runs to the right, and returns run straight up to the tank. Plenty of room for equipment and future upgrades.
Yesterday during a storm, electricity went on and off for a bit, after this only one pump came back on, but tank still filtered. This was also a reason I wanted 2 pumps. Water level in sump ran higher but doesn't overflow because they are joined.
Mine has been up for 16 months without a hitch, I love the way it came out.

I have a single sump setup for my 125g. I have a r200 refugium from eshopps and it has a dual input for both intakes. I have my skimmer in the first compartment and refugium is in the middle followed by the return pump. It's been running over a year without a single mishap, even electricity outages. :)
I found the single sump and single return pump to be easier and less complicated. The more pieces you have in your system the higher chance for something to go wrong, at least thats how I see it. :)

Good luck either way!

Thanks for the responses! Guess I still have some thinking to do...I kind of like the idea of having two pumps in case one goes out, but then again simple is usually better. :confused:

I like the idea of 2 sumps. Its more complex, but that's what I like about SW systems :d. If you like complex and don't mind using more electricity every month, then you can consider it for your 125g.

IMO if one pump fails, then I'd rather go out and buy another one or have a spare pump available. Thats more effecient and cost effective than having two pumps running continually for months or years. I'll do 2 pumps if I'm occasionally away from the house for a few days at a time.

Back
Top Bottom