Day 14 of Cycling - Ammonia Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi:

Today is day 14 of my new tank cycling. I have been testing for Ammonia and Nitrate every other day since day 1. I'm using Aquarium Pharmaceutical Test Kits. I always have trouble figuring out what the ammonia reading is. I've attached a photo of today's ammonia test. What do you think it is? It seems to me that it's about 0.1 ppm. Am I off?

Any help is appreciated.

good lighting is a definate plus to these tests. I usually try to hold the test tube right next the the card so there is a total white background, and get somewhere wear the light is good. I would guess that you're a little closer to .5 ppm.

No, I think you are at .25, but photos displayed on a computer monitor can be misleading due to differences in brightness/contrast and hue. Basically, what one person sees on the screen is not necessarily what others see.

I have the Aquarium Pharmaceutical Test Kit and do not think it is that accurate. There are other posts here on the thread that suggests the same. I plan to replace mine.

RodneyCK

My opinion is that you're a little higher than .25.

I was noticing that the scale goes all the way up to 8.0 mg/l. I use the fastest kits to test my water, and I think the scale only goes up to .8 mg/l. Since monitoring ammonia is crucially important, which would be better, or am I missing something? It doesn't seem that the scales are equally sensitive to changes in ammonia levels.

Back
Top Bottom