Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dont worry about the cloudiness It will pass. That is some nice LR. Along with adding the LR and LS that will help kick start your cycle along with the shrimp. Do not do any water changes untill your cycle has completed itself and all it is showing is nitrates.

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
That is not a lot of rock. Ok to have that amount but the cycle may takea little longer.

Jsut give it time. Sucks but you are goign to have to wait the cycle out to make sure all your levels are good before addign anyhting new to the setup.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

If I don't do water changes won't the high levels of ammonia kill the life on the rocks?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No the life that you want is the nitrifying bacteria that will grow on and in your rock this is what the cycle is about. Any other life on your rock will be OK

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
No the life that you want is the nitrifying bacteria that will grow on and in your rock this is what the cycle is about. Any other life on your rock will be OK
All of this life will be fine?

Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, I feel the need to post here because I am constantly receiving conflicting advice on this topic. I too will be curing live rock in the next few weeks, and this particular thread seems to say NOT to do water changes, even with excessive ammonia levels...however, in the articles section of this web site, which I am frequently referred to, I read this:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...aq=2&fldAuto=6

"The reason I do the water changes is; the ammonia and nitrite levels in the curing vessel will rise high enough to kill, not only the organisms alive on the rock, the nitrifying bacteria that mineralize the ammonia and nitrite. The water changes keep the ammonia levels from going high enough to be toxic to the nitrifying bacteria, with the added benefit of saving some of the life on the rock. Some say, water changes slow the nitrogen cycle, I disagree...Even changing 50% of the water every other day, there will be enough ammonia to feed the bacteria population. The water changes are, simply, a stopgap measure until the rock can take care of the ammonia."

Both of these ideas can't be right...who is? Either the ammonia will get so high it will begin to kill the life on the rock and even suffocate the bacteria you want, or it won't! I be confused!

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I was told to much ammonia is not good also. Also to do a water change every other day or every few days. This was from a very trusted LFS.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
I think you need to stay on top of the readings. Check each day and if your levels get too high then do a small water change. If levels don't get super high then let it go and see what happens. Shoudl be fine cause levels shoudl spike and then come down. But yet if you geta supper high level it could kills stuff.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
How is the cycle going? What re your levels? Nice LR.. where did you order it from?
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida8
How is the cycle going? What re your levels? Nice LR.. where did you order it from?
Thanks for all the response on this subject.

I have been doing water changes every day--25%. The ammonia scares me. It is still around 2.0 even with the water changes. I was told to keep it below 1.0 or the rock will die!

I just wouldn't want the rock I just paid good money for to die. It is too good looking.

I picked up the rock from Richard this past Saturday at Tampa Bay Saltwater He is up and running again!!! I live in Florida so I am lucky...

Tags
cycle, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com