OK, I feel the need to post here because I am constantly receiving conflicting advice on this topic. I too will be curing live rock in the next few weeks, and this particular thread seems to say NOT to do water changes, even with excessive ammonia levels...however, in the articles section of this web site, which I am frequently referred to, I read this:
"The reason I do the water changes is; the ammonia and nitrite levels in the curing vessel will rise high enough to kill, not only the organisms alive on the rock, the nitrifying bacteria that mineralize the ammonia and nitrite. The water changes keep the ammonia levels from going high enough to be toxic to the nitrifying bacteria, with the added benefit of saving some of the life on the rock. Some say, water changes slow the nitrogen cycle, I disagree...Even changing 50% of the water every other day, there will be enough ammonia to feed the bacteria population. The water changes are, simply, a stopgap measure until the rock can take care of the ammonia."
Both of these ideas can't be right...who is? Either the ammonia will get so high it will begin to kill the life on the rock and even suffocate the bacteria you want, or it won't!
I be confused!
38 Gallon (Freshwater): 1 Green Swordtail, 3 Yo-Yo Loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Blue Gourami, 4 Otocinclus, 7 Cherry Barbs.
46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.
10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):