Day 39 of fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Day 39 of the seemingly eternal cycle and the tests appear to be doing ok.
The only things I noticed this week is the KH has dropped significantly in the past 2 weeks and my Nitrites seems to be stable at 2.0.

Test results today:
Ammonia - 0 (I dosed to to 2 ml yesterday)
Nitrites - 2.0
Nitrates - 80 (I know, high but keep reading)
SG - 1.024 (Dropped 1 point this week, probably from salt creep)
Ph - 8.0
KH - 4
Calcium - 420
Phosphates - 0.0

Earlier this week I stopped dosing ammonia (3 days without). The Nitrites stayed at 2.0. Nitrates dropped from 80 to 20. I believe this is because I have a small handfull of chaeto in the 'fuge. I started dosing again yesterday, adding ammonia to get to 2.0. Today the Nitrites tested at 2.0 AGAIN (10th straight day at 2.0) but the Nitrates climbed from 20 to 80.

I think the SG and KH figures will go back to normal when I make a water change. That will happen when the cycle is complete unless someone has reason to think I shouldnt wait.

At first glance it looks like everything is progressing well. The ammonia is getting eaten and apparently most of the Nitrates are as well. It's curious that the Nitrites level has stayed so solid. My dry rock is starting to look a little pink under the MH lights, so I think the coraline is starting to spread.

Ideas? Comments?

No need to hold off waterchanges. Do them weekly like normal. You are on the tail end of the cycle. Nitrates will rise rapidly. I would stop adding ammonia at this point. Kh is real low.

Back
Top Bottom