dead coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike1989

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am searching around at dead coral as a "natural" look decoration. Was wondering if I got a porous coral would it eventually colonize like live rock? Can anyone recommend some good porous corals can not tell from pictures would staghorn or any branch type be porous?

I have been wondering the same thing, as I am in the process of setting up my first tank. I asked this very question to the guy at one of our saltwater specialty lfs's and his response was that these pieces would have the beneficial bacteria and possibly some coraline algae growth on the branches as they cure and absorb the nutrients from the water. Also, smaller fish would be able to use it as a protective cover, depending on the spread of the pieces. The coral wouldn't start growing, of course, but it wouldnt stay the same as it is on the shelf.

He said the downside was that the branches would also catch any floating debris if there were anything like large flakes or pieces of the filmy algae (forgot what he called it) that grows on flat surfaces (like glass or the plastic walls from the overflow) that break away for whatever reason and detract from the look of the tank.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

I have several skeletons in my tanks most look like maybe wall hammers and frogspawn. There is a lot of little critters living in and around them. They do turn purple like live rock as well.

sweet sounds like a plan not just have to try and find a reputable place that sells them. Most places sell artificial corals.

I don't know what kind of shops you have around you but a few here like wet pets right out side Pittsburgh keeps boxes of lace rock rubble and usually when I look in the bottom the smaller skeletons have fallen thru. I've collected quite a few nice pieces doing this so make sure to always check the bottom of the boxes/bins :)

I don't really have much by me considering being in connecticut sometimes I wish I was down in flordia to get these deals etc I read about lol.

Now that I think about it I really haven't ever seen anyone selling strictly dead coral which ends up looking beautiful once it begins developing coraline....tell ya what, I make trips up there once every couple weeks so ill start keeping my eye out and snatch up everything I find in the piles and if I find enough I would be willing to sell it to you if you'd like... Here's a picture of mine some older with coraline and others fresh and still white

wow, those are pretty beautiful. If you find any smaller pieces that would be awesome only have a 20g so don't go crazy haha :)

Ya I use them in my refugium almost exclusively the only thing is some of them are very tough to keep under water without being submerged for a few days first but don't worry I'd be buying them for myself either way for possible future projects or re-scaping but ill send you some pictures of my finds this Thursday when I go

This is my new centerpiece rock which I think is an old colony which is infested with pods thanks to all the holes and crevices

Mike1989 said:
wow, those are pretty beautiful. If you find any smaller pieces that would be awesome only have a 20g so don't go crazy haha :)

.36 lbs but the large piece is very attractive they should be getting a new shipment in soon because that was pretty much the last of it so ill let you know next time what else I find

True but new dead coral and the layers and layers of old dead coral have a much different look and weight which I think the new looks better and is more porous for your bio-filter but to each his own

In no way am I questioning your knowledge X because I think your one of the best advice givers on here but wouldn't the new dead coral be the same for an equal sized piece of old rock in anerobic bacteria (maybe slightly less due to old polyp holes and other corals) pretty much just wondering would the effect in an average sized home aquarium even be slightly noticeable

It's not a bad thing to add to the tank. The calcium skeleton and the surface area are of course beneficial. I wasn't debating with anyone. I just wanted to mention the fact about live rock in case someone reading didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom