Dead Corals instead of liverock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a bunch of dead corals laying around

i wanted to start a 15 gallon salt water tank and i was wondering if i could use those dried up corals instead of liverock?

Yep you certainly can live rock is just dead corals that has decayed some and got coraline algae so ya just make sure to dole down any sharp parts

lol ok well how do i get coraline algae on it?

sorry im a noob.

cuz i currently have a bunch of it in my cichlid tank and its covered with green algae

Well truly just put it in a sw tank as long as you have no live sock in it the algae will die off in saltwater and then start growing coraline might take a month or two but hey no expense lr lol

cool, thanks for the advice.

i probably have about 150 pounds of dried coral..... that i bought for 100 bucks :)

uhm, "live" means they have beneficial bacteria, coralline has nothing to do with it, though it does look nice.

if you want to add it to a SW tank, take it out and let it dry for a while, then you could use it to start up a SW tank

Oh well my bad gues never trust the lfs advice they said live meant coraline. Well listen to corey as i got my live coraline algae advice from a lfs well some

so how can i get the coral to become "live" rock?

what if i get a couple pounds of already cured live rock, would it seed the dried coral and pretty much cycle it in a week or so?

yeah that would definitely work, you could even just put in the dry rock by itself and go from there, but that works very well too!

how big of a tank are you going for?

since this is my first time doing salt water, im gonna try it out in a 15 gallon long tank. just FOWLR for now.

gonna run 2 aquaclear 30 and one with the surface skimming attachment.

aragonite base

sounds like you're off to a great start, with a tank that size you wont need much live rock to see the coral skeletons, which is good for your wallet. you really should make a build thread when it all starts!

lol ok scratch the last idea.

bought an already established 55 gallon saltwater tank with 60 pounds of live rock

Back
Top Bottom