Dead fish, coral dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mineman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me start with:

55g, 75 lbs lr, 35 g sump, 750 ph (2), protein skimmer, 65 lbs live crushed coral substrate, T5 lighting (2 white, two purple), turbos (10), blue legged hermit, unknown hermit, crimson hermits (5), banded shrimp, fire shrimp, blue/green damsels (3), yellow tail damsels (2), orange clown, black and white clown, kole tang.

I introduced two very small soft corals and did a 12g WC. Within a day and a half two of my three blue green damsels died. One coral still hasnt opened and the others color isn't as bright as it was in the LFS. Water checks out great....

Did I just have too much?

Pics

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-1441682966.jpg
    image-1441682966.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3798029806.jpg
    image-3798029806.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1267780817.jpg
    image-1267780817.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 96
No, the LFS said to just put the coral where I wanted. Maybe i should have aclumated the corals to the water? How do you acclimate them to the lighting?

i'm not 100% sure as i haven't yet looked into them, but i think it has soemthign to do with keepign only some lights on and lettign them adjust to the light before makign it brighter. unlike anemone's corals can hide under rocks to adjust they are fixed in one spot and one spot only

Hmm, what's interesting is the dead fish

When you did your water change, are you sure the temperature and salinity were matched up to the tank?

The salinity in the new water was a bit lower than in the tank, but dead on. The tank was high from evaporation. The temp I'm not sure about but I live in San Diego so the air temp is pretty close. I never have put a heater in my new water during a WC, but I do add the water in the sump, where the heater is.

did you premix the water atleast 24 hours before you did the water change?as well you should mix it and place a powerhead and a heater in so you can get the water as close to what you're replacign as possible

Yup, mixed before. No heater though. Never have because of the moderate temp here and water flowing through the sump (with heater) first.

One is trumpet coral, think I should move it to the substrate facing up? I'm afraid that moving it will make it worse!

When I got mine it looked like that. I moved it to the bottom and within a day or two it was bright green. Make to to test your calcium level too!

Ok, moved! Let's see....

No, I don't have a calcium test kit here.

Yeah, wish the LFS would have told me that one!

On top of the calcium and particles in the water, I target feed mine one every couple weeks. You can see in the center of each bell, when they are hungry, small tentacles come out

LFS said that I wouldn't have to feed either of the corals. Is this not true at all?

well you could try and put it on the bottom and it might do great but the damsels are real hardy fish, I am not sure what happened there. the fish do need a steady temp esp corals corals if too cold and too much flow the coral wont open and slowly die off from stress try moving it and get a non glass heater, if the heater is not needed it wont come on but coral alone is super touchy! I had a whole tank full and am down a few from figuring them out but I got it now, just gotta know what the coral you have like exactly! hope this helped!

Back
Top Bottom