Dead rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wadestah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a biocube from my friend. It came with a protein skimmer, pump and 30lbs of dead rock. The rock had a couple small aptaosia on it, so he had attempted to dry it out. Its in kind of a stinky rotten phase right now, but it has really good color to it. The tank has crushed coral in it that he used as substrate, and i figure that has enough organic matter in it to cycle the tank, so i filled it up with tap water, though i may get an rodi when i do a 100% water change after it cycles. At that point i will also take out most of the crushed coral and put in live sand. My question is, what should i do with the rock? Im between just throwing it in, acid washing it, bleaching it, boiling it baking it, or some other suggestion if it sounds clever. I dont really care if it takes a couple months to cycle, but i dont want to wait a whole year. Im also worried that if i just throw it in that it will be in such a toxic environment that it may become permanantly tainted with high levels of nitrates/phosphates. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom