Dead Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my snail is dead? I don't know what kind he is (see image below), but he hasn't moved in almost a week. If I pick him up out of the water, he does retract a bit into his shell, but not very much. Plus there is no bad odor or slime coming from him either. He used to move alot, but llike I said, it's been almost over a week since he's moved from one spot.

BTW, I have 8 other snails just like this one and they are all ok.

Any Ideas?

Attachments

• snail_216.jpg
    snail_216.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 70
If they are dead they will retract into their shell. He looks like he is still out. and if he is still retracting when you touch him. He is still alive. Cant explain why he still is in same place though.

I have never had a problem with my hermits eating snails...That I have seen

My LFS said the hermits would eat the snail, but it would take them a little while. Within the first hour of putting the crabs in the tank, 4 of them went right to it and cleaned it's shell!! It was really neat, but they didn't seem to bother the snail.

It's really weird. The snail has been inactive for so long, but he's still alive. I heard somewhere that they can drown if they are left on their backs.....is this true?

Back
Top Bottom