Decided on FOWLR Tank, Just for Clarification...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I've been stuck trying to decide on if I wanted corals in my tank or not (reef tank) and whilest reading up on it, I think I'm going to have fish/inverts/fake corals/live sand/live rock. My question is is there anything wrong with that setup? Would I have to monitor things differently or whatever (other kinds of algae since not having corals/plants)? I think it would be easier without corals/plants because it's one less thing that can die in my tank. Haha, just saying. :lol: I also read somewhere that some corals are somewhat endangered and that artificial is better (I know about the personal taste thing...)? I thought about getting a Ocellaris clownfish, but if I have a fake anemone, will he be okay with that? Also can anybody tell me where I can get a protein skimmer for a biocube at a good price? I heard the kit doesn't come with one? :confused: And one last question: I have a heater currently for my freshwater tank, can I use it in my biocube?

It's like one of these but I don't know the wattage (Marineland brand):
47490445.jpg

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited to start this project! :D

Re: Corals - Get aquacultured ones vs wild caught to preserve the reefs. They tend to be more tolerant of being in captivity as well. I also only get captive bred fish for my tanks.

Clowns don't need anemones to survive, so a fake one won't be a problem. I'd be hesitant with the fake corals, though, because over time, if the paint starts flaking off, it can present a potential problem in your tank.

A heater is a heater, so yours is fine, so long as it's rated for the tank size you will have it in. A good way to check, if it isn't on the heater itself, is to measure how long it is, then check against the product listing at MarineLand.

Back
Top Bottom