Deciding on a Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my new tank is just beginning its 'time of the month' ;). Even though I have it up and running, I haven't chosen a protein skimmer yet. The sump/refugium I have is an Aqueon ProFlex Model 1. It recommends a Coralife Super Skimmer 65, and it says that it would be external only. This is due to the size constraints of my tank/stand (54G reef ready corner) which forced me to go with the small sump.

Now, does external only mean that it will sit outside of, as in next to, the sump? Or does that mean it would be a HOB skimmer?

Regardless of the how I'll have to set it up, what is recommended, as I've read mixed reviews on the Coralife 65?

External only will be outside of the sump. I have no experience with them myself, but Octopus is the best according to many experienced aquarists on the forum.

External=HOB essentially. Pat is correct about the Octopus line of skimmers. Even their HOB units are great.

you can also get an external skimmer that sits outside the sump, but doesn't hang on the side. those require a feed pump, and some minor plumbing. you can use a recirculating skimmer for this purpose.
the coralife skimmer (65) is not a quality piece of equipment. i've had the opportunity to use one for a little while.
you can get it to skim a little better than stock though, with mods that can easily be found on the net. just google "coralife super skimmer mods".
i would suggest you purchase a skimmer that is rated for 1.5-2 times your system volume anyway.

Wait. External skimmers attach to the drain from the tank and enter the sump through a bulkhead. HOB can either be tank or sump. All skimmers have a pump. Some nano skimmers can be just a soda bottle and an airstone.

you can let an external skimmer pour right over the top of the sump if you wish. you don't necessarily need to drill the sump for one. all skimmers have a pump, but not all have a feed pump. many recirculating skimmers need 2 pumps to work.

Alright. Thanks for the replies. One more question though. Why is it recommended to get a larger tank skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom