Decimated Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well, :cry:

Last night in chat, I talked about how my Blue Tang had big spots on it, and that my curlique anemone disappeared. Well even though things were somewhat normal except for a PH drop .4 points to 7.8, and the Alk a bit low, I did a water change last night with water that I had mixed for a couple of days. Things were back to normal with the water change.. Still no sign of the CQ anemone. Well, today, I come home to find the Carpet anemone torn to shreds. And man do they make a mess...Very stringy...anyways, all of my fish were on the bottom of the tank except for the Clown (doing badly right now) and the Goby, and the Blennie. All of the Green Chromis were on the bottom asphyxiated. The Blue Tang? well, I don't need to tell you what I found, it's pretty obvious.

The changes I made to the tank in the past few day are:

None to the water.

Recent additions, 2 star fish.

1- Brown Serpent
1- Brown Brittle Star

I brought them home on Monday.

I have not seen any other critters in the tank except for the Blue Legged Hermits, snails, and an Emerald Crab.

I have never read it, but would the brittle star or the serpent star be eating or trying to eat the anemones?

With what I believe to be the anemones toxins in the water, all of the parameters of the water are the same as they were after the water change. Hmm so what in the ward could be bold enough to eat an anemone?

I am sorry to hear about your disaster. I wish I could give you a great big cyber hug. IMO, the stars aren't to blame. Those stars are probably the most defenseless critters in your tank. I'm pretty sure your carpeet would have eating the stars before they did anything.

Maybe you have some mantis skrimps in the rocks. Here's my theory:
Mantis shrimp attacked the anenome, severly injuring it. The anenome, in true anenome fashion, didn't take the attack very well, and he's the reason the rest of the fish are suffering or demised.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sorry for your losses. I find it highly doubtful that the brittles or serpents would try to eat your live anemone. I think your seeing a chain reaction from the first anemone death.

I know, I just dont understand where the curlyq went. I had to actually had to move my rocks around to get the Tang and Chromis out of the tank after they passed away. NO CurliQ to be found at all. Will crabs eat anemones if there happens to be one in there? I haven't seen any strange ones, but I haven't done much night divin. I can understand the anemone dying and me finding it, like the Carpet. Anyways, I have seen anemones die, and they don't go the way this did, there were pieces dis membered from it. not like they do when they expunge their guts. This was part of the disc hanging off and the guts coming out of there, not out of the mouth..... It was almost as if someone took scissors and sliced it up..

I don't know.. I purposely got rid of the flower anemone for fear it would go also, and cause more damage...

Now, I am going to do a 10 gal water change tommorow, and I am thinking that I can run a bag of carbon in the overflow. sound like a good idea?....

I don't really feel like doing anything right now, this has got me bummed pretty bad...Amazingly, the xenia is perky as heck...as well as, the gorgonian.

Tim,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and I can understand how bummed you must be. I do hope you can find the cause, 'cause not knowing why this happened is worse.

It's a new day, so start by doing a partial water change. Like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt!

Cmor

Sorry to hear about the losses Tim, I've been there as well.

Just a curious note, do you have any cukes or sea apples?

Cheers
Steve

No Sea Apples here. I was tol a long time ago to view but don't keep them... It was definately the Carpet Anemone that released that much toxin in the water column to kill the fish..

The Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby and the Blenny, ( Don't know what kind ) are still alive today. They were hurtin pretty bad last night...That is a good sign...

I got the rest of the anemone off of the rock last night. The foot was on the rock in deep crevices...but with patience and tweezers, I got the foot released and in the garbage. Still again, no sign of the CurliQ and it has been 3 days now. I guess the creature of the night came and took him away. I am looking for an ammonia spike, but none as of yet.. Nitrites are still 0. I would hope that with 100# of LR in there, it is enough to process it pretty quick.

Doing the water change today... going to the LFS to get the GAC...

I think what I am going to do today is tear all of the equipment apart and clean it. It has been a long time coming...

Anyway, things look brighter today...

I will keep you posted on any changes that occur.

Geez Tim thats is horrible news. I am really sorry you have to go through this. It could have just been that the anenome was sick to start with and passed away. When they go its not a pretty site. Keep you chin up and its good to hear some stuff is making it through.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom