Decision Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. I have a 75G tank with a 20G sump. I'm ordering the Jebao DC-6000 which is adjustable up to 1580. (I know this is overkill but it is adjustable) I have a 1500GPH overflow box from glass-holes.com. It's drilled and we put it dead centre on the back of the tank. (Didn't plan out the return at the time)

I'm ordering 3/4" overflow kits now and I'm trying to decide if I should split the return line and have two return bulkheads and flare nozzles, one in each corner, or one on either side of the return.

So my questions for you are:

1) If this was your tank would you split the return and have two bulkheads with flare nozzles? How would you position them?

2) If it was your tank and you went with just the single return with one bulkhead and one flare nozzles where would you position it?

Also please explain why you would prefer one or the other so I can understand and weigh my options. Thanks fellow reefers :)

I would use a single return, and come over the top. If it's not a rimless tank, it's not really going to matter anyway. Right or left, closest to the pump side would be where I would put it. Why would I use a single return? 2 isn't going to make a noticeable difference and the less "stuff" in the tank the better IMO.....and that includes the less I have to drill holes in my tank, the better too.

Single return, no restrictions on it. Its the return form the sump, which you want at a constant rate, its not used for flow value, but just returning water from the sump.
Flow through 3/4" line for the over flow is only 660gph at max.

Ok so single return it is. With a flow of 660 GPH am I going to have to restrict the flow from my 1500 GPH overflow box with a valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not at all. Gravity is what powers your drain. You can run 50 gallons per day through it and if that works for you, it will be fine. It should be pretty quiet with 600 gph through it.

You'll be ok with that pump, its adjustable, just dial it way back, you want it as close to your overflow as possible, and your all set. Well, minus headloss of course.

Gravity! I completely forgot about that. I'm laughing to myself because that makes everything about plumbing make a lot more sense. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

U always want the return pump to be higher due to overtime your return pump and pipe will get clog up. So u can adjust or readjust the valve. Not to mention gravity.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know what your talking about Toffee, but if I had to guess, I would think you are talking about a HOB overflow losing siphon. This is a gravity overflow- it will never clog up or lose siphon.

I was talking about return pump, where the water gets pump from sump back into DT. Its harder to pump water back up against the gravity and over long period of time the pump itself will wear out a little power and pipes if not clean will clog a bit.

Having a gate or ball valve on the return line end of a return pump to restrict the flow on that end so it matches the overflow perfectly is actually healthy and can lengthen the life of the pump if done properly from everything I've read and been told.

That's true. It's good to have back pressure. It will not wear out a pump prematurely. Constantly turning a pump on and off is the best way to wear out a pump early.

I was talking about return pump, where the water gets pump from sump back into DT. Its harder to pump water back up against the gravity and over long period of time the pump itself will wear out a little power and pipes if not clean will clog a bit.

No, if you run a pump that is way over what the overflow can handle, considering headloss into the equation, that pump will empty the sump before the overflow is capable of doing its job properly. In other words, the tank will overflow.

But, you didn't mention this.
You can get a pump thats rated higher than the return is capable of handling, with this in mind. You need to T off the main return line to the DT, adding a ball or gate vavle on it, going back to the sump, this will allow you to fine tune the return to match the overflow.

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/what-sump

Back
Top Bottom