Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
Decorative Spider Crab and Hermits

Ok so i know that any crab will turn on its tankmates if it is no properly feed but here is my delima. I have a decorative spider crab that i caught munching on a hermit the other day eating it out of its shell and i have seen him gunning for my banded coral shrimp and the other day when i woke up my shrimp was misisng one of his pinchers but other wise appears to be fine (will he grow this back?) .... and then today i saw one of my little hermits eating the insides of one of my little snails ..... now i knew this would happen to some extent but my question is what can i feed those crabs and other inverts like my shrimp in my tank so they are not so aggressive .... righ tnow the only thing i have in my 29gal is a O clownfish that i feed mysis shrimp and one got by him today and i saw a hermit eating it ....... any ideas ..... TIA

Ray

Old 09-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I don't know about the spider crab, but my guess is that there is nothing you can do...

About the hermits and snails, unfortanetly, that's all too common. You can try and prevent it by adding in larger, empty shells for the hermits (they are probably killing the snails for their shells). I had 6 or so hermits wipe out my entire tank (30 snails or so) in a few months...

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, there is not much you can do. I would suggest getting a gel-based food. They will quickly sink to the bottom and might keep them well fed, so they won't kill each other.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think I suggested to you before...no crabs! I love them..and mine were so cute. But they ate everything, fish, shrimps, other crabs, snails for their shells.

Good luck!

Courtney
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have lots of extra shells and my hermits still eat the snails.i over feed the tank about once a week to give them something to feed on but i have come to see the snails as live food. the hermits still do a good job cleaning the tank so i think is worth having them. find a cheap place to buy snails. i pay $10 for 10 so its not too bad.

http://liverockandmore.com/products.php

you can get astrea snails from these guys for .45 a piece.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Funny that you mention this. I have added several Nassaris and Super Tongan Nassaris snails to my tank but haven't seen a single one in awhile now. Hmmmmmm

I've got 2-Red legged crabs and 2-Electric Blue crabs. I've seen the Electric Blues toss a snail on occasion but have never actually seen them eat one. Now I'm wondering if those crabs have been eating high on the hog, or snail should I say. ????
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian965

http://liverockandmore.com/products.php

you can get astrea snails from these guys for .45 a piece.
Problem is... that web site is out of stock of every snail on that page.... is that their normal price on them or did they lower the price in order to get rid of them and that is why they are out of stock on all of them?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

no, thats their regular price. he runs out every so often but hes always got good prices on what he has.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've just put 10 blue legged crabs a variety of 15 snails in my new tank one week ago. I haven't seen any aggression yet. Did put some larger shells for the hermits. I just got an emerald crab yesterday. I hope he doesn't start eating everthing, he looks like he could kick some a--. Does anyone have an emerald? Does it eat everthing? If he starts killing he's gone.

Tags
crab, deco, decor, hermit, hermits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com