Decorator Spider Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canela

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-2534711777.jpg

So my crab is eating my corals and just clearing life on the out side of my live rock. I don't have a refugium, and I'm needing some step by step guide of what I need to create one. My tank is 55 gallons, I have a sump with protein skimmer. When I bought all my equipment from my lfs they didn't tell me what I have. I've been taking pics of names of my equipment so I will be glad to post pics if I have any takers willing to walk a newbie through it??!!!!!! All this to say I wanna put my crab in a refugium until I can find him a happy home!!!

Pic of your sump? If you have three sections the middle one usually can be your fuge, put him in your overflow side.

It looks like a emerald crab their reef safe usually but will pick at lr and in corals for algae

I thought he was an emerald until I came home from work and he was decorated with my yellow polyps, he's molted twice in three weeks, getting huge.

Pic of your sump? If you have three sections the middle one usually can be your fuge, put him in your overflow side.

The parts are really narrow. I have some filters in that part.

image-3395919307.jpg

Sump

I have a 25 gallon tank I was going to use for my planted tank, but I will use it for my fuge if that's ok, or would a 10 gallon tank suffice gor my 55 gal tank? Also wondering if I can have a HOB fuge as well?? I just think they're pretty!

It does look like an emerald, but I cannot be sure. Either way, crabs are not reef safe. Some people just get lucky with emeralds. Eating corals is quite natural behavior for crabs.
Even a ten gallon can make a good refugium. Just put in a sand bed and some macro. You'll want to be sure flow rate into the fuge is equal to the flow exiting the fuge.

I have a 25 gallon tank I was going to use for my planted tank, but I will use it for my fuge if that's ok, or would a 10 gallon tank suffice gor my 55 gal tank? Also wondering if I can have a HOB fuge as well?? I just think they're pretty!

Yeah hob is good if you like the way they look go for it. It will only benefit. If you have no place for the crab you could take it to lfs or when you do a wc fill up the ten gallon put him in there with a ph until you get the new fuge setup.

Back
Top Bottom