Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Decreasing NitrAtes after ammonia spike

I thought I would start a new thread on this, because my ammonia problem seems to be solved. Originally I had added "cured" live rock, and my ammonia spiked and the fish got pretty lethargic. I got the fish out of the tank, and he is doing fine, now.

I did a water test today, and my parameters are: ammonia : ZERO, nitrites: ZERO, nitrates: 40. So my understanding is that the tank has been cycling, and I now need to decrease my nitrates. I have been reading a lot, and among other methods, it seems that doing PWC's can do this? Am I correct? Or do I let the tank just continue along its path and the nitrates will start to drop by being processed.

BTW I do have my protein skimmer running. I now have a total of 200 pounds of LR for my 125.

Now that I have almost completed my fishless RE-cycling, I am starting to decide what fish will go in. And now I have a quarantine tank to boot! I am thinking that I will go FOWLR for now.

bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

PWCs is about the only way to get the nitrates down in your tank since it's so new, so yes, water changes are a good thing

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
do a 30-40% pwc and the nitrates will drop, my nitrates where giving me a huge number while i was cycling that slowly dropped with the other readings. I ended up with 20 nitrates and a pwc took care of that.
"Only mistakes happen fast in aquariums"
"The solution to pollution is dulution"
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that frequent PWC`s will take care of your nitrates. As your tank gets more mature you`ll start to develope anerobic bacteria in your low flow areas that will take care of some of those nitrates.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote

ammonia, ammonia spike, nitrates, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com