Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Decreasing water evaporation

I have a 120g tank and lose at least 2 gallons of water daily, maybe more. I have a canopy that is open in the back, and a 40g sump. I have two 175w MH lights which stay on about 8 hours a day, two 110w VHO actinics which stay on about 10 hours a day, a 75w light for the fuge that along with the lunar lights, is on when the actinics are off. Is there a way to decrease the amount of water lost to evaporation?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Evaporation is the single greatest resource you have to fight off summer temperatures. In the summer we evap roughly 6g a day and that helps to keep our temperatures stable.

As hard as it is to believe, evaporation is your friend. Finding a good top-off solution (www.autotopoff.com) would be to your benefit.

Anything you can do to prevent evap (lids on your tank/sump) will likely cause trapped CO2 which could suppress your tank pH.

Probably not what you want to hear... I resisted it as well. Since adding the fan over the sump, which of course increased our evap even more, I've been able to get rid of the chiller. It's much cheaper for us to add water!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

While evaporation can be a pain to replace, it is a good thing. As mentioned above, the addition of clean FW can be a good thing for your system. I top-off about two gals/day as well.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You could run your lights less. The heat would not cause as much evaporation.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with everyone else. 2 gal a day really isn't that much. An auto-topoff maybe something you should look into if you don't like doing the topping off.

I evap about 3/4 a gallon a day in my 45 gallon.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everyone. I will now look at evaporation as a plus. Funny, I just created a post for suggestions of auto topoff systems. Please reply to the question on that post.

Phyl, are you the same person on NJRC?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that your evaporation question is not that uncommon. I have close to that amount myself.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Chase! Yes, same person!

John's the house expert on the ATO so I'll wait for him to get home to answer your question about the 2 limit unit (which is what I believe we have).

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to boges_au2006
hi all quick question. a lot of people say they top off with just a bit of clean fresh water in the tank? is it really ok to do this??
my theory was that when water evapourates i wouldve thought the water would evapourate and the salt would kind of remain behind. (eg the salt lake :P) is this true? in this case u would top off with FW. however i told my lfs this and they said no use SW? what do i do?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boges_au2006
hi all quick question. a lot of people say they top off with just a bit of clean fresh water in the tank? is it really ok to do this??
my theory was that when water evapourates i wouldve thought the water would evapourate and the salt would kind of remain behind. (eg the salt lake :P) is this true? in this case u would top off with FW. however i told my lfs this and they said no use SW? what do i do?
You top off with FW. You'll notice when you do your salinity level comes back to where it was prior to evaporation. As you stated, the salt remains and only the water evaporates.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com