Deep Aquarium Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
After all the mishaps with a used 80gal, I plan on buying a new 110gallon which is the largest I can get to fit my new stand and canopy (48x18).

Will my dual strip light fixture with Coralife Actinic 03 (40 watt) and Coralife Kelvin 20,000 daylight (40watt) lamps work okay for a FOWLR 110gal set-up? No coral or anything will be housed, but the aquarium will be 30" deep. I'll probably have a 4 inch sand bed but the light will still need to penetrate deeper.

Will there be any other issues that I haven't thought of with a deep aquarium?

My other tank option would be to try and return the newly purchased stand and canopy and get a 120gal, but that would be a huge hassle - but so would buying more powerful lights for the 110.

Thanks.

- Skins

Cool. Someone had mentioned a possible problem with water movement in the deeper section of the tank.

Would two maxi-jet 1200s maybe a little lower than halfway down the tank on either end, slightly pointed upwards be beneficial for water movement in a deeper tank?

I have a 225 that is 30" deep. I have 4 maxijet 1200's with the hydor rotating deflectors. I have no issues with water movement/deadspots. Look in my gallery at a full tank shot and you can see where mine are placed.

I think with a tank that deep you'll want more than 2 ph's. you'll want one or two to break the surface for gas exchange as well as some behind the rock or any other place where there may be dead spots. I know the rule of thumb for reef tanks is you wanna turn your water over at a rate of 10x's. I imagine it will be the same for fowlr. And when you figuring in your water turnover, skimmers don't count. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom