Deep Bed Sand vs Coral Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told by the LFS to use crushed coral, but everything I have read here and on other forums say to use a sand bed. Alittle late since I already went with the CC but if you haven't done it yet I would go with SAND. but one of the pros will be able to better tell you why...

A deep sand bed is going to give the best biological filtration, but with enough LR if is not rally needed. I am a fan of using LS as a substrate. CC can cause nitrates to climb by catching detritus in it. This can be avoided by regular and frequent vacuuming of the CC substrate. LS does not have this problem. It is just easier to maintain.

I agree with Lando,
Go with a sand bed 2-4" is what I like... Live rock is a must have even more important then a sand bed. Have you thougth about LR? and if so how much? What size tank? Plan on 1-1.5 lbs of LR per gallon. Do your home work before you buy, most LSF don't know what there talking about so do a lot of reading.

its a little too late....i've already set up my tank with crushed corals, I have a eclipse six with about 3 lbs of live rocks. Its been running for about 30 days. I've actually done some water testing today and the results are:
ammonia:0-0.25
nitrite:0
nitrate:0-5.0
ph:8.0
specific gravity:1.018 (i have to raise this)

A 6 gallon tank might be a tad small for a DSB. You might consider bare bottom with 9-12 pounds of LR (1½-2 lbs/gal).

austinsdad said:
Whatcha think the ammonia is from? Fish in there?
nope, theres no fish in there yet, just a couple of snails and one shrimp

Ammonia level seems weird with just that in there and no fish yet. How long agao did your cycle finish? Saw the Ammonia go up and get back to zero, then the nitrites did the same I presume. Now ammonia up to .25. Feeding the snails and hermits? Maybe leftover food?

I'm a bit concerned about the ammonia source.

Are all of your snailsand hermits accounted for? Can you describe your cycle for us (how ling it took, how you cycled, and how long ago it finished?)

yes i only brought several snails....although i did notice a couple of baby snails the other day. the tanks been cycling for about 35 days, i dont know if the cycle is not ready or its been done and i havent noticed it yet.

seaham358 said:
Noticed what? If the tank has cycled?
Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at all?
yes, if the tank has cycled? I tested the water yesterday:
ammonia:0-0.25
nitrite:0
nitrate:0-5.0
ph:8.0

Back
Top Bottom