Deep sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugarte1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey need some advice. I'm trying to change my sand bed from crush coral to fine live sand to make a deep sand bed for better filtration. Don't know where to start. Any suggestions ? It's a 29 gallon tank have a couple of frags and one green BTA.

I would drain tank water into a bucket and put a heater and ph in there and move all livestock into the bucket before you do it. Then drain all but the water just above the substrate into another container so you can put it back in the tank when done( I'd put my LR in here also). Then take out your crushed coral and drain that water and discard. Now out your water and LR back in then add your sand. Let it settle for a few hours then re-acclimate your livestock and your good. You prob want to have some fresh sw on hand to

Ok I'm going to attempt to do what you said. I hope I don't kill my live stock.

Can I get more of the crush coral or maybe just put some fine sand on top of what I got and make a deep sand bed like that ?

Large grain crushed coral is horrible. Just remove it completely as stated.

Make sure you do your research on the deep sand beds that have to be cared for in a certain way or your have a possibility of releasing toxins in your water column.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We have crushed coral and it's a pain in the [moderator edit].... Really want to get rid but scared to mess with the water and live stock

Last edited by a moderator:
dont know why everyone treats substrate like a nuclear warhead. ive handled/changed/ moved prob a dozen tanks with all forms of substrate and ive never had a single issue. just apporach the job with a well-thought out plan, and dont cut corners. you'll be fine. the basics to follow are easy, just dont subject your live rock/coral/inhabitants to the nasty water that will form once you stir up the sand. heck you can take out the old sand, rinse it thoroughly, and even reuse some of it if you feel the need. like i said, as long as you are diligent in following the correct steps, you wont have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom