Deep sand bed advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I'm almost ready for my sand bed. From what I've been reading, it's oolitic aragonite (seeded with LS), 3"-4" deep, with no serious sand sifter critters (but ample smaller ones) to ensure the maintenance of hypoxic areas (but not anoxic) in the substrate.

As the former mayor of the Big Apple used to say:

"How'm I doin'?"

Replies, critique, and advice appreciated intensely. :)

Is it considered bad form to reply to one's own post? :oops:

On even further research, I've changed my mind about the sand bed I'll use. SInce my tank is only 30 gal, a 3" bed is not desirable, so I'll go with a thin bed and use a deep layer in my sump. Any advice or tips from experienced hands?

Take pity on a poor newbie. :!:

Although I've done my research, I've yet to pay any real dues, i.e., learning curve mistakes.

Any help will be molto apprezzato.

Thanks for the reply.
A 2-3 inch sand bed will be just fine. How much LR are you planning?

Probably between 30 and 45 lb, depending on what I can find online. Not an abundance of LFS near me with good marine stuff. One guy has "live rock" that looks like base rock to me - white, no visible signs of anything on it, and he wants $8.99 per pound. I can do as well online.

I'm planning to let the sand and rock cycle a bit, then add some cleanup critters like snails, crabs, etc., while a fish or two are in quarantine for a couple of weeks. Then I'll do a couple (4-5) hardy, peaceful fish like a clown, cardinal, etc.

I've read conflicting things on sand beds. One says no serious sand sifters should be used with a DSB of 4" or more, since they aerate the sand too much. Other sites disagree. This won't be as big a deal for me, as I've given up on DSB for nitrate reduction due to the small size of my tank. (I'll try to enlist the help of a sump DSB, protein skimmer, and water changes.

If this works out, I now have a 55 gal cichlid tank which may become the next home for my critters and their new tankmates ... in a year or two

You can get by with less sand and just up the amount of LR. 45-60lbs would give you great biological filtration. Many here love www.liverocks.com It is some of the best LR I have seen and between $5 and $6 per lbs with shipping. Check them out.

I checked out the site - looks promising. Thanks.

Do you recommend Florida keys or gulf rock from liverocks.com?

Also, do I have to seed the LS with detritivores?

Why only a 2-3 inch Sand Bed? I have a 40 gallon cycling with 4 inches...am I going to regret this?? I would think a DSB would be good for any size tank to help keep nitrates down...please elaborate why less is recommended for smaller tanks

Thanks

WC

It isn't recommended, I just don't like how much of tank it will take up. With a 12" tank with 1" headroom (probably more) , that's 5"" for LS and air, leaving only 7" for water. I'll go with the Berlin system in the tank with a smaller bed and more LR. I'm hoping that the DSB in the sump, although smaller, will contribute a bit to denitrification.

We'll see....

Good to see another local NYer setting up a tank. Have you been to Reef Splendor in E. Fishkill to look at LR? They have several thousand pounds on site to pick from. You may be able to get it cheaper On-line but hand picking your LR is nice
Not sure how big your sump will be but adding a DSB to the sump IMO will not be that effective. If your worried about nitrates I would use that extra room to make a refugium with some LR rubble, caluerpa and microalage. Going with a Shallow SB is a good idea 2-3" is plenty.
Check out hvreef.org thats our Hudson Valley Reef club..

there is an ongoing debate as to be benifits vs. risks of a DSB. Keep in mind, thesea are really DBS, like 6 inches deep. Benifits are that it creates a winderful enviornment for beneficial bacteria to grow. Risk, it can also trap pockets of toxic gas (forgot whcich type) that, when disturbed, release into the aqarium. This is bad. When dealing with normal sand bed, 2-4 inchs, this is not really a concern. Just make sure you have plenty of sand critters thta are responsible for sifting through your sand.

Midiman...Sounds like you have done your research. Nice job. As for the LR, get a mixture of keys and Gulf. That way you get some with the great color and coral growth of Keys and the cool hitch hikers Gulf rocks brings. It is the best of both worlds. Call liverocks.com and talk to Mike or Zack. They have wonderful customer service and will hand-pick what you want. Plus, their rock is all acu-cultured so no natural reefs are being damaged.
Lando

Risk, it can also trap pockets of toxic gas (forgot whcich type) that, when disturbed, release into the aqarium

I believe the gas is hydrogen sulfide. From what I've read, this risk is probably overstated, but why take chances? I'll keep mine to around 4". Since it will be small, I'm not sure that it will have any effect on nitrates. Fortunately, my tap water is nitrate free. I'm going to test for copper, and if it's ok, I'm going to use a carbon bag on a flowhead to mix my sea water and try to avoid the RO/DI expense.

This is starting to cost some bucks - un sacco di soldi as my realtives would say!

Thanks for the tip on live rocks. I never thought to call and ask for a mix and match. That's probably what I'll do, but first I'll check the store in my area.

Thanks for the clarification!

It was for this reason I got a 40 Gallon Breeder tank vs. a 30 Gallon Breeder. The 40 and 30 gallon Breeder Tanks have the same footprint...but the 40 Gallon is 4 inches higher than the 30 Breeder...allowing for a DSB.

The Cycle has completed on my tank with the DSB and Base Rock. Live Rock from LR.com will be here on Tuesday! I too got a Mix of 20lbs Key and 20 Lbs Gulf! I was going to go with 25lbs of each...but the boxes only hold 40lbs each and I would incure a $30 charge for for second box if I got 50lb total. I figured if I really feel I needed the extra 10 lbs...I could get some at the LFS...for yet even more diversity!

WC

The Cycle has completed on my tank with the DSB and Base Rock. Live Rock from LR.com will be here on Tuesday!

Won't this start the cycle over again? Most of what I've read says that even "Fully cured" LR will have some die-off in transit.

Please keep me (us) posted, as I'll be facing the same decision shortly.

I had planned to cycle everything together, but I have to wait until the end of February if I do that (I'm gooing away for a week and don;t want to leave the tank if it hasn't fully cycled). If instead I put in the LS now, I may content myself with a few returnable (to the LFS) damsels for a few weeks until I get back from my trip in February, at which time I can order and introduce the LR.

Back
Top Bottom