deep sand bed for a 125 fowlr?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An aquarium and the ocean are very different environments, why do diseases that exist in the ocean relatively harmless kill the inhabitants of our tanks? Because they are different environments. No one does a water change in the ocean, yet it survives as well. I think comparing a Dsb tank vs non Dsb tank is much closer than comparing Dsb tank to the ocean. I have a Dsb, and like I said before I have no detectable nitrates even with irregular water changes. Show me a tank 10, 20, 30 years old with a Dsb and I would reconsider the longevity. I have searched and searched and can't find one older than 7.5 years. That person, cmor1701d, even told me to do a remote sand bed if I wanted the tank to run a few decades.

Also, the OP was asking about a Dsb in a fowlr system, where there is really no need to have zero nitrates, so for longevity sake, that is why I lean towards no in this case. I would want the space for more fish!
how do we know that diseases effect things differently in the wild?
"different environments" doesn't tell me anything. why are they different? besides synthetic sea water, and artificial lighting, i see them pretty much the same. what is the key component that makes the ocean bed work and closed system beds not?
fish generally swim back and forth not up and down, so losing a few inches of height isn't going to cramp them too much.

good point also :p

but i think she was talking about ich doug, all fish live with it in nature they are just not stressed out and their slim coats are strong enough to protect them.

having a properly sided tank, fish that get along, parasite controlling livestock and a healthy established enosystem would restrict stress just as easily and build up a fishes imunities and abilities to fight of diseases

yes, i understand that, but i don't know that no fish ever die from ich in the ocean. can anyone point me to that data?
might as well do it in PM because now we are getting off topic a bit.

i measured the water column hight with the dsb, it was like 16 inches give or take. i can see the point of swimming left to right. but i still like the room for rock work and having more of an open area. i wish i had your tank mr_X. even though your waiting to get a 300 gallon?

how shallow can i make my sand bed and still have a dsb? ive read 3" the substrate is a consistant .3-.5mm grain.

well they say that the faurna lives the sand lower then 2 inches, which would mean 3 inches is considered a DSB, but i would still go with 4-6 inches of sand bed.

doug i have no proof that in nature they will not die from ich, it has not been proven but when a fish is less stressed their immunities are higher, just liek any other living organism.

who says a extremely healthy person that works out every day, never smoked a day in their life or had a family member smoke, always ate healthy would never develope cancer or die of a stroke or heart attack.

i know one person, worked out all the time ate right always healthy and he got cancer, it was my cousin, hes all better now and hes past the 5 years of remission but he was healthy and active and still a disease found him

I think it has alot to do with the overall size of the tank when it comes to accidental disturbances of a dab. Obviously if a ph falls off in a 125 and stirs up a dsb.. its nit gonna create the high levels of toxins that a renegade ph would in say a 55. I personally ran one in my 125.. after my engineer goby got his cave network finely tuned...he left the rest alone and id like to think after several months it was quite effective

Back
Top Bottom