deep sand bed in new 75 gal.. help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightHawk-33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you guys think i should go with a deep sand bed? if so would you breifly explain how I would do this?

I would go for a deep sand bed.. It looks nicer in my opinion and it gives you more options for fish/inverts that like to dig. I dont understand what you mean about how to do it... Just dump in alot of sand... Haha :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I would go for a deep sand bed.. It looks nicer in my opinion and it gives you more options for fish/inverts that like to dig. I dont understand what you mean about how to do it... Just dump in alot of sand... Haha :)

pros? cons? lol

I'm wondering the same I am a noob to sw but I read that if it's 4" or more it helps with nitrates and other thing if you have good water movement so that nothing settles on the surface.. also seen pictures of people doing a rdsb (remote deep sand bed) in their sump or even a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4 with sand plumbed into their system but like I said I'm a noob lol.. I would also appreciate some more info so I'm subscribed

Deep sand beds have 3 zones, aerobic, anaerobic, and anoxic. Aerobic is the oxygen rich zone, anaerobic has low oxygen, and anoxic has no oxygen. Aerobic bacteria will help convert ammonia into nitrite into nitrate. Anaerobic bacteria will convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. You should never or very rarely siphon the anaerobic zone (like half the tank a year). You can and should siphon the aerobic zone to help with detritus buildup. With a dsb though, there is no phosphate export, so when it build up crap, the phosphates will continue to form, which can be countered with siphoning the aerobic zone, gfo, ATS, macro algae, etc. hope this helps :).

crister13 said:
Deep sand beds have 3 zones, aerobic, anaerobic, and anoxic. Aerobic is the oxygen rich zone, anaerobic has low oxygen, and anoxic has no oxygen. Aerobic bacteria will help convert ammonia into nitrite into nitrate. Anaerobic bacteria will convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. You should never or very rarely siphon the anaerobic zone (like half the tank a year). You can and should siphon the aerobic zone to help with detritus buildup. With a dsb though, there is no phosphate export, so when it build up crap, the phosphates will continue to form, which can be countered with siphoning the aerobic zone, gfo, ATS, macro algae, etc. hope this helps :).

thanks for the explanation.. would you recommend them yourself?

Back
Top Bottom