Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only reason I have a DSB was because I wanted burrowing fish and I didn't want the rocks to fall and hit the bottom glass. Also, since the rock shelves and floor are a few inches higher, I have a better chance of keeping corals that need better light (also keeping me from "needing" to buy MH).

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
imo those beds in the videos are too shallow. he also says you can disturb an old sand bed, but not a new one. that doesn't make any sense to me. disturbing a brand new sand bed will have no ill effects.
he also says that dead spots or areas of low oxygen are bad for a DSB, and i was told that's the whole reason for the DSB in the first place. anaerobic bacteria, which colonize these low oxygen zones are the reason nitrate get's broken down into nitrogen gas. you don't want to stir the bed up and allow oxygen rich water to reach these areas. might as well have a 1" sand bed then.
this is a good read-
Deep Sand Beds

another-
The Deep Sand Bed – One Of The Most Effective Filtration Methods. | Aquarists Online | Aquarium Fish Resources And Information

Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im currently running about 1.5" of sand on the bottom of my tank. I've stirred it up a few times by accident (cleaning glass) and have had no ill effects. Made the water a little cloudy but that's it. I don't think its necessary with all the filtration devices you can run these days. I know its more natural but is it as effective? Probably not.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks i'll give them a read when i get home tomorrow.

he said in the videos at the beginning in the lower half of the sand is where the nitrates from the top layer ar broken down into oxygen and slowly realeased to the top which is how you explained it. he also said that in newaly formed beds its not good to stir it and get food and such under the sand where it decomposes and turns into ammonia and nitrites. there are no critters there that have established that will break down these into nitrates and the lower part has not established the critters that turn those nitrates into air.

i realise later on in the video he gets a little confusing but at the begining he does talk abotu how it works and then stirs up the bed a little and you see the air bubbles rise to the surface of the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylias View Post
Im currently running about 1.5" of sand on the bottom of my tank. I've stirred it up a few times by accident (cleaning glass) and have had no ill effects. Made the water a little cloudy but that's it. I don't think its necessary with all the filtration devices you can run these days. I know its more natural but is it as effective? Probably not.
true with the media available these days there may bot be a total benifit to it, but in my eyes its always better to be clean, the cleaner the better as well the media does not last for ever and in the long run it costs more to firlter it then to have a natural growing critter that constantly reproduces as others die off
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
DSB's are effective. i'm just not sure about the long haul with them. is there anyone reading that has a 10 year old tank with a 5" sand bed?

in a short time i'll be doing some research on this. i will post my findings, but it's going to take a while.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I did quite a bit of reading before i put my DSB in and I feel like it really did help to reduce my nitrates. Full disclosure I only had the tank for a little over a year. I just had to take it down to move so i can't speak to the long term of a DSB.

From everything i have read it can only cause a crash if you disturb it. If you want burrowing fish or inverts i would probably put 3-4 inches in and that will be good enough for most of them. Because they constantly turn up the sand you will not see the nitrate reducing effects of a DSB. They are keeping the sand oxygenated and so the bacteria that consumes nitrates will not grow.

If you want a DSB i would strongly suggest donig a remote bed. I kept mine in the sump (approx a 2' x 2' x 7") for my 90 and it was great since i was feeding so heavy because of my anthias. This also allows you to cut it off from the system if you ever need to disturb the bed. I believe some people suggest changing out about 1/4 of the bed every 2-3 years. You would need to make sure none of the water gets in the display when you do that though.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah i was thinking of a canister filter so i can do an HOB refugium for nitrate reduction

Tags
sand, sand bed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com