Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know what you mean...everything I read was a contradiction. I appreciate you sharing your experience...it has help me decide on what to do. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecwzrd
Light feeding either once daily or even better every other day is a much healthier option for your fish and has even been proven to extend their life.
Do you have any links? I've read the exact opposite is true for most fish. Most recently in an article on feeding in the latest Aquarium Fish International Magazine.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont have any links but I do have plenty experience. I have 4 of my fish that I started with 9 yrs ago. They are very colorful and great size. Several others over 6+ yrs. I`ll go with my experience over a magazine article any day. Every other day IMO is the best.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is a nice section in one of my books about DSB's, lots of info. References to Shimek, Borneman, and others. I could scan the pages if you all desire...not sure on the legality of that though.

Here are a few points.

It says that at DSB should be of aragonite oolitic sand, and is typically 6in or more deep. Borneman says that DSB's alone equals or exceeds the results achieved with more traditional methods of filtration, and that it offers the basis of removing skimmers on well established aquariums. Shimek says DSB's provide not only bio filtration but also food for many suspension feeders.

It also says that its not a simple matter of making side-by-side comparisons to measure results since the differences come from more that one variable ( as lando has brought up ).

It goes into much more detail about setup and maintenance, as well as a correct clean up crew for the sand, nutrient export, detritus accumulation, rock support, oxygen, changing sand, DSB in refugia, etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I know there are different results from having a DSB and most of them good but I just dont like the look of them is the only reason I dont have one. Not trying to talk them down but just saying sometimes personal preference is a factor.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 03-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melosu58
I dont have any links but I do have plenty experience
I've been keeping fish since I was 7 years old. That's about 20 years now, so my experience is in no way limited either. The article in aquarium fish mag is only the latest piece I've read. Feeding twice daily, or more for planktivores such as anthias, is the general consensus these days. Unless keeping predators such as eels, groupers, etc. With improvements in husbandry, filtration, and protein skimmers these days, nutrient export is not so much of an issue as it was say 10 years ago. Fish will absolutely benefit from a more natural feeding regiment. Having said that it is very important not to overfeed. For those starting out, be sure all food is eaten or removed, and start small. Also watch for algae outbreaks, and cut back feeding as required. From what I've been reading and IMO sparse feedings are a thing of the past.

jwburleson97, FWIW I use a shallow sand bed of about 3" w/ a protein skimmer, regular PWC's, and GAC 24/7, like Kurt . It's been up and running for over 2.5 years w/ no issues and good overall growth including SPS's. HTH
Old 03-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

no hard feelings. You have your opinion and I have mine.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
It says that at DSB should be of aragonite oolitic sand, and is typically 6in or more deep
What about aragonite special grade reef sand? Does it make a difference? I did move the sand from under the live rock.
Thank you for everyone's input!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've been following this and haven't said anything as yet. I spoke with a guy that has had tanks for over 20 years and he does not use DSBs because of the toxic gas release. I'll try and find the link for it but what he said was that after 2-3 years the gas that gets trapped in the sand bed will begin to leach out and CAN cause a tank to crash. The way to avoid this is to over the course of a year slowly replace the sand. I am with MT79 on this...my sand bed is 3-4" deep in both the main and my fuge.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is what the clean up crew section goes over, certain clean up crews are designed for DSB filtration that promote oxygen penetration and maintained porosity, not letting gas get trapped....

Not taking sides, just readin a book

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com