Deep Sand Beds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess this is why there is such a controversy over the DSB....Like I said I have 3-4" in my tank and fuge...so if that is considered a DSB then I have one.....I say if it works for you then go with it. If you have another way that works for you then go with that!

I personally like the look of a sand bed, not overly deep, but a nice sand bed. I don't mind seeing sand over the frame of a tank at all...

Depends on what you are going for, some people run bare bottom tanks with no substrate, and some of us have DSB's and all in between.

two to three inches is pretty common. I try to stay at the tree inch mark in general.

jwburleson97 said:
Does everyone basically agree that you should have nothing less than 3 inches?
As Marc said, it all depends on your design and what you plan on keeping. Bare bottom tanks are very successful, and used primarily on SPS tanks w/ high end skimmers and very high water flow. That prevents detritus from building up and reeking havoc. I think DSB's (4"+) are a dying thing due too nutrient issues, etc over time, as mentioned. A shallow sand bed- ~2-3"- looks good and functions well for mixed reefs IMO.

Back
Top Bottom