deeps sand bed thoughts and opinions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
I come across many different thoughts and opinions about deep sand beds and wanted to get info on the subject from different people.

There's alot of info on how deep a dsb should be but how much surface area should it cover to really benefit? I haven't really found any info on how much surface area it should cover to really do what its suppose to do. Also who is running dsb in sumps and how much surface area are you guys covering?

You're supposed to have it about 4" and above. It's should cover the entire tank floor and it reduces nitrates. The bacteria that live in the deep convert nitrates to nitrogen gas that is released as bubbles to the surface. You NEED. To have critters that stir up the sand to release these bubbles.

DSBs are in nature they alow bacteria that lives in no oxygen areas that break the nitrates down into one part nitrogeon and 3 parts oxygen. if a DSB is done correctly it can be a great filtration to help keep water conditions great, also will help with the need for waterchanges, although you will have to dose the system if you don't change the water

Well I understand what a dsb is used for and the process of it but my question is what size of a dsb would actually benefit the tank?. I guess my question is will putting 5-6 inches of sand in my fuge (15"L x 12"w x 9"h)benefit my 60 gallon tank. Given those dimension of my fuge would that be big enough to make a difference in my tank or would that just be wasting space since its small surface area compared to my display tank.

Yes! Unless the water is going through extremely fast through the fuge (which it shouldn't). If the water is going slowly then it would be good.

no that will not benifit your system to well, you will see little to no gains. a good dsb should be atleast 36"x12" and from 4-8" deep

yeah if their fuge is 70g but to put it in a 15x12" 9 inches deep is just takign away stape that you could put more chaeto and more LR rubble and have better filtration and pod growing space

I do not use a DSB in my reef and have undetectable nitrate. With enough live rock you can have enough denitrification, depending on the bioload.

I had a regular sand bed in my 55g with zero trates as well, and I was using a canister filter lol

In my 125 I have about 5" sand bed in the main tank and maybe 4 inches in the refugium area.

no one shoulkd ever feel stupid about little mistakes, we all over look things that someone else may catch that doesn't mean we are not as smart or stupid

Ok thanks for all inputs. so I should just leave my system as is.. I am getting zero nitrates now but just trying get some input on the subject. Seems like you would only benefit from dsb is if it's in your display.

Back
Top Bottom