Default Newbie - need skimmer for 20g reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicuz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 1 week old 20 gallons tank (sand + water). I'd like to keep 2 clowns, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 soft corals (one will be an anemone).

I recently purchased a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer but I will have to return it because it doesn't work properly and it makes way too much noise.

Here's what I am looking for:
- decent protein skimmer (not top of the line but not the worst)
- type: hang-on
- not too hard to install (I'm a beginner)
- not to noisy
- price range: about $150
- optional: I live in Canada so I would prefer (but not necessarily) a Canadian retailer

I would really appreciate any recommendations.

Nick

DO you plan on putting any live rock in this system? also a skimmer is not needed on a 20gal especially one with such a small bioload

Skimmer is really not necessary. I have 28gallon and no skimmer is needed, to control the nitrate you could easily do PWC every 10-14days of about 20-25%, it's good enough and saves you money.

I also have to agree. PWC`s in a smaller tank like that will do what you need. With frequent PWC`s you`ll be able to dilute excessive nutrients and add trace elements back in that got used up during fish and coral processes.

Back
Top Bottom