Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Design help

So i started up my fish tank tank yesterday. i am running a 30 gallon tank so to save a bit more money to buy fish i purchased a hob filter calibrated for 50 gallons with the biowheel.( i am eventually going to buy a canister but petsmark's prices were jacked) I added the salt to the water, and placed the crushed coral (the water is still murky from adding the CC). Now i was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction with setting up reef. What kind of lighting should i purchase, any website suggestions for nice coral and lr. Any set-ups you have that work nicely. thanks for your help.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say get rid of the crushed coral and use sand. The crushed coral limits you on certain corals and fish who need the sand to survive, plus it acts as a great trap for waste to gather in the tank.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

its weird everyone iv met in fish stores says used crushed coral everyone on this website says dont use crushed coral lol
Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Probably because most of the people in the pet stores don't actually have successful reef tanks. It's pretty common to get bad advice at LFS

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

well are there any set ups i can used with CC?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i've seen a video on youtube of a guy with a 500 gallon reef running crushed coral with success but it requires alot of cleaning as food and fish waste can get in between the coral and under it. the CC is easier to clan as it doesn't get sucked up when you're vaccuming it like sand does

there are snails and shrimps, sea stars and fish that liek to burrow in the sand, so you're limiting the types of inverts you can have and also most of the nicer goby's that pair up with pistol shrimp won't be able to be kept.

the selection of fish on a 30g is pretty small and without sand its even smaller
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i guess my question becomes what can i do with crushed coral than?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don"t know of many that use crushed coral so I cant answer you question. Sorry. I use aragonite sand bc it buffers the pH and comes in different sizes. I also run a HOB with my reef and it works fine so far.
For lighting, I like this -
Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO X2 - Saltwater Aquarium Light Fixtures. But if you have a 30 gallon extra high, you may need more lighting. You're probably a few months away from adding corals but I would buy LR right now and cycle with it;1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon. You can buy mostly dry rock and seed it with a little LR; it'll save you some $.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i just found this set up on youtube:YouTube - My 28 Gallon Saltwater Marine Tank ( he is using crushed coral) thanks for the advice ill go get some LR. the more lighting information the better( because i am really not too sure the requirements) by the way my tank is 24" wide and 19" high with a bowed front. thanks guys.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
that tank in the video is pretty new. it's long term effects that you are going to see with the crushed coral. it requires regular maintenance, where a sand bed with much smaller granules do not.
i would scoop out that CC and toss it. it will cost you 20 bucks or so to replace it with dry aragonite based sand, and it will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

as for lighting, you are going to have to decide on what you plan to keep in the tank before you look for lighting. if you want to be able to keep whatever you want, i would go with a 4 x 24 watt t-5 at least. preferably a 6 x 24.

Tags
design

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com