Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Determining Water Change Schedule

How do I determine the amount of water change I should do and when to do them?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do 15 gallons a week on my freshwater. The first time I did a water change I used buckets and put a mark of tape on the back side so i Knew where 15g was. Now im using a "python" much easier.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water changes are needed, in an established tank with normal conditions, when nitrates surpass the disired level. You can test nitrates often to get a feel for how long you can go between water changes or opt for a 30 to 50 percent change weekly.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah with saltwater. Would highly suggest weekly and at least 20%
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315 View Post
Yeah with saltwater. Would highly suggest weekly and at least 20%

I'm going for 120g FOWLR with 40g sump for chaeto and skimmer. My only occupant would be a porcupine puffer.

I think I'll just go by nitrate readings like Mrduna01 recommended.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do water changes after I feed my anemones and certain corals like ducan and dendros. I feed twice a week so once a week I will change out between one and two gallons on my 55 then a 5 gallon. I do this to make sure I keep any extra food out of the tank. I find smaller more often water changes are better for my tanks. It takes me 10 minutes from start to finish just to change the water which isn't bad. I might not get the glass all scraped off and the rocks blown off that day but that take a minute or two a couple of times a week. I do have a tank that I change 10% once a week there is no extra feeding because there are only 2 fish in the tank with softies.

I see you have puffers and I believe they are rather messy eaters. You probably don't have a cuc for very long to eat the leftovers. You might do better with a couple of smaller water changes than one large one.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, that's pretty much the case for any tank. With a reef, of course, it gets in to more specific parameters like calcium, magnesium, etc... but with FOWLR, treat it just like you do with your fw/bw tanks.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
You might do better with a couple of smaller water changes than one large one.
The purpose of the smaller changes is to take out solid waste, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
but with FOWLR, treat it just like you do with your fw/bw tanks.
For FW/BW tanks, I do water changes every week, regardless of nitrate levels, because its easy and DOCs are taken out of the system.

I thought that a SW tank we could reduce water changes to once every 2-4 weeks since a skimmer reduce DOCs.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe you can go for weeks without changes, providing you test regularly and supplement trace elements as they become depleted.

If you have good nutrient export (macro algaes to consume nitrates/phosphates) and dose as required why do you need to change the water? Simple detritus removal is the only reason I can see. Besides if you have good random flow and no dead spots there shouldnt be a deal of that anyway.

I could test my water now and there would be undetectable nutrients and my alk would be 9.5 - 9.7, mag 1300 -1340 and cal around 420 and I haven't changed water since new years day. I tend to do 20% once a month.

I first got this idea from watching one of new York steelo's vids and I believe he had gone 80 yes 80 days without a change and I'm sure some of you will be aware of how nice his tanks are.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is your tank size?

Tags
change, schedule, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com