Detritivore Kits for a BB setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have so much base rock that its not funny...(I don't see a single pod or worm in my tank). Well anyways, would it be okay to add a Detritivore Kit in a Barebottom setup? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46308&item=4316811436&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Can you guys point out whether or not it is a wise decision to add all that variety to a tank without any sand? Thanks in advance.

Also, my nitrates are a bit high (40-80ppm, more like 40). Would this be okay or would this kill all the life?

Some life will live on/around your rocks, but sand is a better home for others. If your 'trates are high with a BB you need to do maintenance more often. As the main nutrient export in a bb is siphoning and water changes, you probably need to increase their frequency.

indy said:
Some life will live on/around your rocks, but sand is a better home for others. If your 'trates are high with a BB you need to do maintenance more often. As the main nutrient export in a bb is siphoning and water changes, you probably need to increase their frequency.

Gotcha, will do more frequent water changes and siphonings. I don't have a single detritivore so all the fish poo = higher nitrates.

Will all the critters in the eBay auction be okay without sand or do some require sand to live? I don't want to buy 80 dollars worth of live critters to have 60 dollars of them die off.

That is a DSB seeding kit.. I wouldn't recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom