Detritus problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you can take a turkey Baster and blow lots of detritus from rocks does this mean you don't have enough flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would dare to say yes, add some more flow to that area and maybe a CUC if possible.

Caleb

It sounds like yes, but it can depend. One can have 'enough flow' in a system but not have it adjusted correctly.
Can you tell us more about the system and the powerheads in there?

It is a 110 gall mixed reef with 30 gall sump and fuge. 4 power heads (? Size) with wavemaker. Thinking about getting a gyre an removing 2 of the existing power heads.

Is the wavemaker turning powerheads off at any point? If this was the case I'd take that off so you can have all your powerheads running at the same time. Putting your max GPH at the issue at hand is going to be the first step. The next will be aiming the powerheads around so you don't have gunk building up on your rocks and minimizing deadzones.

It is a 110 gall mixed reef with 30 gall sump and fuge. 4 power heads (? Size) with wavemaker. Thinking about getting a gyre an removing 2 of the existing power heads.

Problem is, you don't know the flow in your tank.
You should at a minimum be running 1100gph in powerheads, thats minimum.

Back
Top Bottom