DI Needed in an RO System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N83259

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, new member, 1st post. Great forum BTW, I've learned a bunch. I was wondering how important deionization (DI) is to include in a RO system. An article archived here says the primary function of DI in salt aquaria is to remove phosphate ions.

I have water from a well dug into a forest floor w/ leaf litter (so it's acidic). My water is treated by a particle filter, an acid neutralizer (calcium ion xchange I think) and then the classic softener w/ resin bead/salt back flush system. (before going to the RO system). Do you think adding DI is worth the extra cost or over-kill in this situation.

I plan to use the water for my new salt/reef system, a fresh water system and some horticultural uses. Thanks - N83259

Welcome to AA!

IMO it's always a good idea, and nowadays most RO units come with an option to include them. The cost is negligable and DI resin does quite a good job getting the last little bits of stuff out of the water.

Thanks guys, good info. I'll pony up for DI for sure.

Just say no to the small RO units like that. You really want standard 10" units because the filters will be more common. those little units although initially less expensive will cost far more in the end. Bulkreefsupply.com has a great selection of standard RODI units.

DI is a must the water that comes out post RO is usually 2-5 TDS depending on supply pressure temp and TDS. The DI removes those last few TDS. Its also important to know the just having DI is not the answer. An appropriately designed DI is best, You want a vertical DI housing with removable media to prevent channeling (the water making a channel through the DI thus diminishing it exposure to the media itself). Quality water will make for a quality reef experience. What ever extras you put in with your water (heavy metals, organics, in organics) you have to design a system to export those extras out ie FUGEs, and UV, skimmers, chemical media filtration; so the less you put in with just your water changes the better. We add so much phosphat and the like just by feeding our fish no need to add it with your water change... does that make sense?

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English

Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Typhoon 5 stage RODI Reefkeeper 75 GPD

RO/DI Systems The ocean wave+

Back
Top Bottom