Diagrams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathyjane

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I found this forum several days ago I've become very overwhelmed about what I don't know. In fact, I'm surprised the livestock I currently have is still swimming. Some of the equipment people mention don't sound familiar. Is there a site I can go to that will give me a diagram of exactly where the equipment fits on, in or below the tank and what it does specifically. My wife bought me a 55g tank for Christmas last year and I just kind of jumped in with little knowledge of a Marine tank, only limited advice from a neighbor. I obviously lost quite a few fish early on but my tank has really seemed to stabilize over the last two months. Any help you can offer is definitely appreciated, I just wish I would have found Aquarium Advice 8 months ago. Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not aware of anything like that. If you are having questions about some of your equipment or how it integrates with your tank, feel free to post them and we will help in any way we can.

For some general information, you might try www.wetwebmedia.com.

Im not sure what equipment your refering to but by no means is a sucessful tank dependant upon having a bunch of equipment. There is a vast amount of equipment that I consiter to be something that is optional and some other equpment that is more suggested but not mandentory.

What equipment are you refering to?

UV
DSB
Skimmer
Fluidized bed filter
wet/dry
calcium reactor
ozone
co2 doser
???

Currently, I have a hang-on type filter and a heater that came with the tank. I've also purchased an Eheim cannister filter and a powerhead of what size I'm not sure. I have approx. 25#'s of LR with a crushed coral substrate. I'm wondering if I should also add a protein skimmer(what kind & size?) and if its necessary to have a sump or wet\dry filter. I'm also wondering if I should upgrade my lighting, I currently have one 18", 15w AquaRay light that came with the tank and a 18" Coralife 10,000K, 15w.
For livestock, I currently have 1 yellow tang & 1 tomato clownfish both approx. 3", 2 blue damsels, 3 neon velvet damsels and 1 sixline wrasse all between 1 and 2 inches. I also have a flame scallop, rock anemone, pink tip anemone, coral banded shrimp and 1 turbo snail. I know that sounds like a lot but they've done well for several months now. I bought the wrasse to handle the bristle worms.
At some point in time I would like to change to LS and add more LR.
Any critique's are welcome! Thanks!!

I think you should definately up the wattage of your lights, your anemones, and scallop will likely die in a few months if you dont. The general rule used for lighting is 3 to 5 watts per gallon. I use 260watt(4x65w) on my 55 reef, and I would not think you would want to go much lower than that with what you have. Good luck with it.

OK, I've purchased a protein skimmer, a reverse osmosis system and a CRL moonlite lighting system that has 4 65w lights plus the moonlight lights. Am I on track or do I need to do more?

I think you on the correct track.

Over time if you want to add more LR I would say that it will only benifit you as an aid in your biological filtration.

One quick note here is that I definitely recommend you go to either your local bookstore or LFS and get a couple of good books on setting up and maintaining the aquarium. In addition to this forum, I have found that you can never have enough information, I know I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from spending the time to research what is "needed" and what is "recommended" and why. :D

Back
Top Bottom