Diamond goby question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so my diamond goby found himself a home (burrowed a tunnel under on of the rocks) but I noticed at night that his borrow was glowing from the lights under the tank on the sump. This seemed unnatural for him so I taped cardboard to the bottom of the glass under the tank to block the light from the sump lights. I'm wondering if this even matters or if I am being overprotective of making him comfortable?

Can't think of any reason why it would hurt. Fish need a day and night cycle and if his burrow is lit up when the rest of the tank is dark it could probably cause issues.

It'd be like trying to sleep with a mysterious bright light coming from beneath your bed lol. I would probably have done the same.

Tomorrow I think indeed to redo mylive rock so this guy doesn't kill himself by collapsing rock

Yea generally if you're going to keep burrowers you want to put your LR in then the sand. That way they can burrow all they want and they won't get crushed and your tank won't get cracked.

How do I keep him from jumping while I am rearranging the rock? The rock he likes to dig under is a VERY heavy solid rock and I need to get it off the top of the sand and put it in deeper... But to get to that rock I need to move alot of rocks and dont want to freak him out... I just put him in there

May I ask how old your aquarium is, which size (I see you posted threads on both a 90 and a 70gallon), and if you have a deep sandbed in this tank?

Wy Renegade said:
May I ask how old your aquarium is, which size (I see you posted threads on both a 90 and a 70gallon), and if you have a deep sandbed in this tank?

I don't know what is considered deep so I posted a picture.. But it is 90 gallon. I set the tank up about 1.5-2 months ago in an upgrade from 20 gallon. Here is a picture. The rock he likes to dig under is that big white one in the middle. I actually want to replace that rock cause it is so heavy. I have some new Marco rocks that I just got in the mail and would rather just remove that rock. But don't know if I should?

Attachments

• image-2220079621.jpg
    image-2220079621.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 74
Keep a close eye on your goby; as sand-sifting stars, they consume micro critters out of the sandbed as their primary food source. Since your tank is not very mature, there may not be adequate food to keep it from starving. Not saying it will, just saying you need to keep a very close eye on it. If you don't see it eating additional foods you add, and it gets skinnier, then you need to rehome it.

Wy Renegade said:
Keep a close eye on your goby; as sand-sifting stars, they consume micro critters out of the sandbed as their primary food source. Since your tank is not very mature, there may not be adequate food to keep it from starving. Not saying it will, just saying you need to keep a very close eye on it. If you don't see it eating additional foods you add, and it gets skinnier, then you need to rehome it.

When I feed the tank I notice him I eating some of it..

Is that a common problem? Do they not live long in captivity?

Is that a common problem? Do they not live long in captivity?

not common, but does occur in a smaller, immature tank. In a larger, well established tank with a well established sandbed they have no issues.

Wy Renegade said:
not common, but does occur in a smaller, immature tank. In a larger, well established tank with a well established sandbed they have no issues.

What is "smaller" and will the sand ever get established if I have a goby cleaning it? My sand is way cleaner since I got him and I feed him pellets and he eats well.. I started feeding twice a day to make sure he gets fed well.

Nope, never seem him try to jump. But I have a DIY bird net screen on it. And he is always out and about. Doesnt get scared when I get in the tank. He seems happy

Back
Top Bottom