Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Diamond goby question

Ok, so my diamond goby found himself a home (burrowed a tunnel under on of the rocks) but I noticed at night that his borrow was glowing from the lights under the tank on the sump. This seemed unnatural for him so I taped cardboard to the bottom of the glass under the tank to block the light from the sump lights. I'm wondering if this even matters or if I am being overprotective of making him comfortable?

Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can't think of any reason why it would hurt. Fish need a day and night cycle and if his burrow is lit up when the rest of the tank is dark it could probably cause issues.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It'd be like trying to sleep with a mysterious bright light coming from beneath your bed lol. I would probably have done the same.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tomorrow I think indeed to redo mylive rock so this guy doesn't kill himself by collapsing rock
Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea generally if you're going to keep burrowers you want to put your LR in then the sand. That way they can burrow all they want and they won't get crushed and your tank won't get cracked.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do I keep him from jumping while I am rearranging the rock? The rock he likes to dig under is a VERY heavy solid rock and I need to get it off the top of the sand and put it in deeper... But to get to that rock I need to move alot of rocks and dont want to freak him out... I just put him in there
Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

May I ask how old your aquarium is, which size (I see you posted threads on both a 90 and a 70gallon), and if you have a deep sandbed in this tank?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
May I ask how old your aquarium is, which size (I see you posted threads on both a 90 and a 70gallon), and if you have a deep sandbed in this tank?
I don't know what is considered deep so I posted a picture.. But it is 90 gallon. I set the tank up about 1.5-2 months ago in an upgrade from 20 gallon. Here is a picture. The rock he likes to dig under is that big white one in the middle. I actually want to replace that rock cause it is so heavy. I have some new Marco rocks that I just got in the mail and would rather just remove that rock. But don't know if I should?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2220079621.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	62919  
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Keep a close eye on your goby; as sand-sifting stars, they consume micro critters out of the sandbed as their primary food source. Since your tank is not very mature, there may not be adequate food to keep it from starving. Not saying it will, just saying you need to keep a very close eye on it. If you don't see it eating additional foods you add, and it gets skinnier, then you need to rehome it.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
Keep a close eye on your goby; as sand-sifting stars, they consume micro critters out of the sandbed as their primary food source. Since your tank is not very mature, there may not be adequate food to keep it from starving. Not saying it will, just saying you need to keep a very close eye on it. If you don't see it eating additional foods you add, and it gets skinnier, then you need to rehome it.
When I feed the tank I notice him I eating some of it..

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com