diatom bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt1245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i woke up this morning and noticed that my filter in my tank was a brownish color and small areas on my live rock were also brown is this a diatom bloom?

if so should i add a few snails or just let the diatoms go away by their self?

and also how far through my cycle am i if this is a diatom bloom?

and also how far through my cycle am i if this is a diatom bloom?

Only you can answer that question! Have you been taking readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are you've been cycling?

{Edit: If you're at 0 for ammonia and nitrites, and saw a spike in both parameters, then your cycle is over and you're OK to add critters. Don't add anything living until both ammonia and nitrites are at zero.}

Matt,

I just got through with a diatom bloom...it looked bad!!! I put about half a dozen red leg hermits, 6 austria snails, 2 mexican turbos for the rocks. For the sand my LFS recommended a Diamond Goby...it kicked butt. That thing is one of the most entertaining fish. It digs, burrows under rocks, etc. But it did a great job cleaning and shifting the sand. WARNING...I could not find him the other day...finally I found him on the floor behind the tank. I didn't know they were jumpers. I have lids on my tank with very small openings for sump return. The diatoms will die out on their own, but they gave me an excuse to add more stuff to the tank =)

yeah im kinda desperate to add stuff right now its really boring

Dont add yet, my entire tank turned brown started on the glass right after my cycle. when i cleaned it i think the little parts started new growths on everything . My tank looked like an algae farm then i woke up one day and it shrivled up and went away after adding 4 turbo snails

Back
Top Bottom