Diatom bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldenboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Back again with another question. When the diatom bloom hits and the brown blooms begin overtaking the LR, should these be gently removed or scrubbed with a brush to remove them or does the process take care of itself? Are there certain supplements that I need to be adding to aid the process and encourage beneficial algae growth? Sorry if my questions seem elementary, but thanks for your help.

Just do your normal PWCs and the algae will die off on its own. Its like a cycle. For the most part it will grow fast and get really dark then just go away.

Thanks. I've read different views on doing PWC's while cycling / curing LR, so I wasn't sure. I appreciate your advice, I'll keep up with the PWC's and go from there.

Well if you are cycling then it is a totally different story. You didnt say that in your original post. I wouldnt do a PWC during your cycle it is only going to make it take longer. diatom blooms are normal for a cycling and freshly cycled tank. Are you using lights. If so there is really no need to use them during the cycle. I cycled my tank in the dark to cut down on this type of thing. Doesn't stop it, but does limit it. Diatom problems should clear up within a few weeks of the end of the cycle.

Now that you mention cycling then if you do PWC`s it will slow your cycle up. Sometimes people want to do it but just realize it might make your cycle longer.

Okay, thanks. Sorry for not being more clear. I have been using the lights but only on a limited basis (6 hrs a day), but I'll stop using them if that won't cause problems.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom