Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

diatom bloom new tank

Hi my tank is 3-4 weeks old I tested everything and everything is almost perfect. That's why I don't no why I have a diatom bloom is it just because my tank is still new?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yes most new tanks go through this phase they will burn themselves out within a few weeks try not to worry about it

Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank that finished cycling 2 weeks ago is going through it. It is a good sign, IMO, and will die off quickly. I would recommend a CUC from www.reefcleaners.com but if you get a quick crew, get half of the recommended size. John from there has great customer service, and I'm getting a shipment from them today. If I may ask, what fish do you plan on getting? What is your tank size? Are you planning on corals eventually?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thxs I'll check them out my tank is 72 gallon bowfront

Right now I'll I have two false clownfish and a few hermits and snails
My plan is to get watchman goby, shrimp
Foxface and a blue tang and
Also corals softies,sps and (lps) if that's right
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

NO. BLUE. TANG. Minimum of 125+ gallons! All others look good, I guess. That's all you plan on?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would have to agree on NOT going for the regal tang, we recently got a very small one in our 68gal and I realise sooner rather then later I will have to give it back to the LFS for the good of the fish, to be honest it's given me nothing but heart palpitations since we got it as I'm constantly watching it to make sure it's ok due to it stressing mega easy!

Although I will say it gets on really well with my clowns!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I already planned something out with my friend he has 220 gallon witch when the blue tang gets to big I'll be giving it to him
Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi I have anthor question I was told to cut my lights in half if not fully keep them off I was thinking whites on for an hour 6:00 pm then blue for two 7-9 then moonlightsfor three hours 9-11 or should I keep them on longer?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The trouble with the blue tang is keeping it alive and healthy until it's big enough to give to your buddy. They stress really easy and are very susceptible to ich and other stress induced illness. The fact that he won't have enough swim room is the issue, not the size of the fish. Even small they need alot of space and lots of places to hide and sleep.

Diatoms will burn themselves out eventually...it just what happens. If you have other algae issues then yeah cutting your lights and feeding can help. Do you have any corals? If not I don't see why your proposed lighting schedule would be an issue.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thxs I'll see what I can do and I don't have any corals yet but I will later on

Tags
bloom, diatom, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com