diatom bloom new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi my tank is 3-4 weeks old I tested everything and everything is almost perfect. That's why I don't no why I have a diatom bloom is it just because my tank is still new?

yes most new tanks go through this phase they will burn themselves out within a few weeks try not to worry about it

My tank that finished cycling 2 weeks ago is going through it. It is a good sign, IMO, and will die off quickly. I would recommend a CUC from www.reefcleaners.com but if you get a quick crew, get half of the recommended size. John from there has great customer service, and I'm getting a shipment from them today. If I may ask, what fish do you plan on getting? What is your tank size? Are you planning on corals eventually?

Thxs I'll check them out my tank is 72 gallon bowfront

Right now I'll I have two false clownfish and a few hermits and snails
My plan is to get watchman goby, shrimp
Foxface and a blue tang and
Also corals softies,sps and (lps) if that's right

NO. BLUE. TANG. Minimum of 125+ gallons! All others look good, I guess. That's all you plan on?

I would have to agree on NOT going for the regal tang, we recently got a very small one in our 68gal and I realise sooner rather then later I will have to give it back to the LFS for the good of the fish, to be honest it's given me nothing but heart palpitations since we got it as I'm constantly watching it to make sure it's ok due to it stressing mega easy!

Although I will say it gets on really well with my clowns!

I already planned something out with my friend he has 220 gallon witch when the blue tang gets to big I'll be giving it to him

Hi I have anthor question I was told to cut my lights in half if not fully keep them off I was thinking whites on for an hour 6:00 pm then blue for two 7-9 then moonlightsfor three hours 9-11 or should I keep them on longer?

The trouble with the blue tang is keeping it alive and healthy until it's big enough to give to your buddy. They stress really easy and are very susceptible to ich and other stress induced illness. The fact that he won't have enough swim room is the issue, not the size of the fish. Even small they need alot of space and lots of places to hide and sleep.

Diatoms will burn themselves out eventually...it just what happens. If you have other algae issues then yeah cutting your lights and feeding can help. Do you have any corals? If not I don't see why your proposed lighting schedule would be an issue.

Ok thxs I'll see what I can do and I don't have any corals yet but I will later on

Back
Top Bottom