Diatom bloom- What eats it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prissysmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I know a bloom is expected in a new tank but is there any member of the cleaning crew that eats it?

Specs...

Been running my 75 FOWLR just under 2 months.

RO water
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates-10
SG- 1.022

I have a protein skimmer, a Rena, 2 Koralia powerheads, 2 inch sand bed and pwc 5 gallons every week. I dose it 12 hours a day.

I have a pair of clown fish (total buddies:)), 1 Sea serpent star, snails

The bloom is a rust color but not hairy.

Thanks so much!

Moonlights are only if you would enjoy them. Even with a full blown reef they serve min. purpose.
Snails that eat algae would help a little, plus it should go away with good tank maintenace.

I will get some more snails. I have only 10 narrsisus snails now.

What about Shrimp? Would it be ok to add a Peppermint or Scarlet shrimp?

Can I have one of each or just one per tank?

Nerites and hermies work too... I find the hermits do a better job, for me at least.

My Nassarius just sit at the water line on the overflow all day and come out at night foraging. Everyone else is on duty day and night.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I will get some more snails. I have only 10 narrsisus snails now.

What about Shrimp? Would it be ok to add a Peppermint or Scarlet shrimp?

Can I have one of each or just one per tank?
narrsisus snails don't eat algae. They eat leftover food and detritus. Do a search on snails that eat algae and get whatever you can get.
Again shrimp are good only if you enjoy them. Some can be a pain if you know what I mean. If you go with some hermits be sure to get only a few, They will start to eat your snails if you get to many of them.

Back
Top Bottom