Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Diatom Outbreak, NO END IN SIGHT!

Hey gang,

My tank has been through its cycling pierod for a few weeks now. all my parameters are perfect.
Nitrites, Nitrates, and Amonia at 0 my ph is 8.2 and my temp is 80 degrees. Lights are on 10 hours a day and are controlled by a timer.

I have had an algea outbreak that has just continued to get worse for 3 weeks. Brown, short hair-like algea all over the sand. (diatom?)

My question is what to do with this? I thought that it would burn itself out after a week or so, but I see no end in sight. Should I add My Blue leg hermits and snails now??? Will they be able to fight it back properly????

thanks guys!
-Matt

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

anybody?

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 09-20-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add your cleanup crew, can't hurt. Also are you using tap water for water changes & top offs? if so you are just putting the stuff that diatoms eat right back in your tank. Right now I'm fighting cynao in 1 tank and black algae (of all things) in another.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I hope you don't mind me asking another question along with yours but I have a similar problem with diatoms. It is getting pretty ugly.

What would be a sufficient cleaning crew for an 80 gal reef tank with 80 lbs lr?
The tank is newly cycled. Thus far I have an emerald crab and a tiny hermit crab like guy that were imported with the lr as well as one yellow mimic and 2 blue green.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

To keep the growth down, try feeding less often and only refill and top off tank with RO water should be readily avaliable at water stores 30 cents a gallon, good luck
1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
moejoephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah, i filled the tank originally with declorinated tap water a couple of months back and I have been slowly replacing it with r/o water over the last few weeks now that the cycle is done.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Normally Diatoms will burn themselves out after 2-3 weeks. Thats how it worked for me. In addittion, I cut back on my lighting also. I went from 10 hours a day to 6 and it seemed to slow it down some. Eventually it just died off (or should I say replaced) with another algae, green. My clean up creww took care of that as it grew, they ate.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago and found that blue legs love the stuff. Mine mostly hang out on the rock at night and then come down and really clean the diatoms off the sand. Snails did the trick on the glass and PHs.

-Ron
Old 09-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

great! thanks gang! I will be getting my blue legs and snails tomorrow. do you think 12 of each would be a good number for a 37 gallon tank???

Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

A rule that I've seen a few times is about 1 snail per gal and 1 hermit for every 2. Not sure if many follow that. I'm still trying to find that equilibrium point so I keep buying more a little at a time.

Tags
diatom, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com