Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xathos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm having what I believe is a diatoms outbreak for the last couple of days, which I've read is completely normal in a newly cycled tank.. It's not on the glass at all (yet), mostly just covering the sandbed and the live rock. I was wondering if I should just do PWC and keep the lights off more than usual until it passes? This is diatoms right? Or something else?

Attachments

• Diatoms.jpg
    Diatoms.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 89
To be honest, that looks more like a build up of detritus rather then diatoms. What does your Clean Up Crew consist of? I think it may be time to up the number of snails/hermits/detritivores that you currently have in your tank.

2X Ocellaris Clownfish I added yesterday. (Had no fish before that)

2x Nassarius Snails
1x Turbo Snail
3x Trochus Snails
4x Blue legged Hermit Crabs (tiny babies)

I added a week ago. The tank is around 1 month old. 38 gallons.

For 38 gallons, i would up your CUC a bit more. Could use a couple more snails probably, and probably some larger hermits. My hermits always kept my sand bed pretty clean.

Also, just for reference... When i put my live rock in my tank, i got stuff all over my sandbed that looked EXACTLY like what is in your picture. It was die-off and just extra junk that fell off of the rocks. Your CUC should get around to cleaning it up sooner or later, but you could definitely increase your CUC size without any problems.

For 38 gallons, i would up your CUC a bit more. Could use a couple more snails probably, and probably some larger hermits. My hermits always kept my sand bed pretty clean.

Also, just for reference... When i put my live rock in my tank, i got stuff all over my sandbed that looked EXACTLY like what is in your picture. It was die-off and just extra junk that fell off of the rocks. Your CUC should get around to cleaning it up sooner or later, but you could definitely increase your CUC size without any problems.

Yea, i had a lot of die off from my rocks but this looks more like powdery dust instead of the other stuff I had last week so I thought it might be different. I just did a 30% water change and got a lot of it out. I plan on getting more CUC next week, any recommendations?

Yes. Live rock will produce a substantial amount of waste. Especially if the rock is very porous, which allows the detritus/garbage to linger in the small holes and crevices. However, it should stop after some time. It's not like the live rock will continue to produce waste. You generally only get die-off when you introduce live rock to your tank, or something causes your live rock to die off.

As for recommendations on a CUC, i would just suggest Hermits, Cerith snails, more Nassarius snails, and some Astreas and Trochus snails. Those are all excellent members of CUC's. The Hermits, Ceriths, and Nassarius are the ones that will clean your sandbed, as well as rocks, and glass. Astreas, Trochus, Turbo snails, are mainly only rock and glass cleaners since they can't move around on sand I believe.

Back
Top Bottom