Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are diatoms a good thing or bad in a new reef aquarium? Does them appearing mean anything? and should I try to remove them?

They will use up the silicates in your tank when you have a new tank or if you add new sand to a tank. Once your silicates have been used up they will disappear

They will use up the silicates in your tank when you have a new tank or if you add new sand to a tank. Once your silicates have been used up they will disappear
okay do you know anytime frame when this usually takes place or does it vary between tanks

Varies between sands and tank sizes etc nothing to worry about though

diatoms

I had diatoms when my tank was new. now the diatoms are coming back, i put some new base rock in a month ago and then now im getting diatoms back, i rinsed off the base rock befre putting in tank. sorry didn't mean to snag your thread. just putting my 2 cents out there about this topic. my tank is 8 months old.

No problem! and a few of the snails in my tank have found the diatom patches and are eating a ton of it

Back
Top Bottom