diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
my tank has been up and running for about 7 months now and I recently upgraded my light from PC to MH as well as my skimmer from the seaclone to the urchin pro w/ mag 3 pump. I have been getting alot of brown stuff on my front glass, pretty sure its diatoms. they come right off when I scrub them but they build up so fast I need to scrub every day which gets anoying. my thank has a good amount of flow to the front of the tank and my levels are all at zero.

Is there any way to get rid of the diatoms or keep them from growing so fast?

yep those sound like diatoms, and they should go away on their own soon, I know it is hard to wait being that I was there too but they will burn themselves out. are you using tap water for water changes or topoffs?

My diatoms increased with the addition of MH too. Unfortunately I think that just means you have to clean your glass more often. At least I haven't been able to find any magic cure for it.

SW is not for the lazy. Sometimes work is required every day. But better 5 mins everyday then a couple hours once a week

Back
Top Bottom