Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Diatoms/Brown algae?

Is this a diatom/algae bloom? My tank has been running for just over a month. Its still cycling. I've been keeping the light on for a few hours a day to help some polyps that hitchhiked on the LR.

So, should I be concerned? Do I have to siphon out all the brown stuff on the sand? The brown on the rocks isn't easily blown off, i have to scrub it to remove any of the brown stuff. Should I get some snails to help with this?

Water parameters as of tonight

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Phosphate: 0
Temp: 80
no inhabitants in the tank yet ( other than what came on the LR )

As always AA rocks! so thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brown sand.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	13025   Click image for larger version

Name:	brown rocks.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	13026  

Click image for larger version

Name:	brown rocks2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	13027  

Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. Those are diatoms.

Once your ammonia/nitrites drop to 0, adding a cleanup crew of snails (trochus, astrea, and nassarius are my picks) will take care of it for you. No need to scrub or vacuum.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Kurt, One more question though. Should I eve bother to turn on the lights for any period of time? considering that there are a few Polyps that are still hanging in there.

Funny thing is, I went to my LFS just to see what they would say about the diatoms. Reading the info on Fatasyreef.com I asked about snails that would eat diatoms. The LFS said nothing would eat diatoms and that I would have to deal with it and siphon it out. Go figure..

Good thing I can always get some good advice on AA.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm. Snails don't eat diatoms. I'm gonna have to tell my snails that! You might want to treat that LFS's advice as suspect... or at least the employee that told you that.

Here's a shot right after my tank cycled...

... and here's a shot 2 days after I added about 20 trochus and astreas...

They were busy little guys.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Agree with Kurt. Let the tank be, and even without the addition of snails, the diatoms should go away. Mine was an overnight change. There one day, completely gone the next. It just takes enough tank maturity for the little critters to get eaten.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

You guys are great. Thanks

On a side note, I upgraded my lighting.. I got a Nova Extreme Pro fixture on its way here this Friday. Can't Wait!
Think I'll go watch the tank for a while...
Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with kurt and Lindsay that it`s nothing to worry about. Just Diatoms. Congrats on the new lights.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just an added note on cleanup crews. Cerith, nassarius, astrea, and marginatta snails are my personal favorites. Turbo's will work but they cannot right themselves when overturned they die. As for hermits I love the look of scarlet reef hermits but they are not a gregarious species and will fight whenever they meet one another. Simple red legged hermits and dwarf blue legged hermits work great. Also whenever the clean up crew is introduced I suggest to many that a algae blenny like the sailfin or lawnmower and a sandsifter like a diamond watchman goby are great for the crew as well! Good luck and snails ad even hermits will eat diatoms, unfortunately you spoke with a not so educated LFS employeee.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis210 View Post
Just an added note on cleanup crews. Cerith, nassarius, astrea, and marginatta snails are my personal favorites. Turbo's will work but they cannot right themselves when overturned they die. As for hermits I love the look of scarlet reef hermits but they are not a gregarious species and will fight whenever they meet one another. Simple red legged hermits and dwarf blue legged hermits work great. Also whenever the clean up crew is introduced I suggest to many that a algae blenny like the sailfin or lawnmower and a sandsifter like a diamond watchman goby are great for the crew as well! Good luck and snails ad even hermits will eat diatoms, unfortunately you spoke with a not so educated LFS employeee.
Thanks Dennis, good stuff to know.

I knew enough to not just take the LFS' advice and run with it. I needed to confirm things here before doing anything. I like researching prior to jumping in. Again, much more info learned here than at the LFS.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I agree with kurt and Lindsay that it`s nothing to worry about. Just Diatoms. Congrats on the new lights.
Thanks!

Tags
algae, brown algae, diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com