Diatoms, Disappearances and... critter waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfgiantfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Like others have mentioned lately, I have started to get a reddish brown accumulation on my sand in a few spots that matches that on the glass when my turbo misses areas. It only shows up in spots though, mostly near the front of my aquarium. Strangely enough, it has also deposited reddish brown discoloration on some of my Haitian anemone's tentacles, which makes me sad because they look so pretty when they are clean and white. I went in really early the other morning and noticed the rising sun angled through the window just right and was reaching one corner of the tank for a short time. I previously thought the tank was out of any direct sunlight. Could this be causing or at least contributing to it? I have set up a temporary shade to block the sunlight. The discoloration does not appear on the sand in the back of the tank behind the rocks where it is also more shaded from the tank lights.

Secondly, I recently added two strawberry-sized frags of pulsing xenia to the tank. After a day and night, they seemed to be doing fine. I came home tonight to find both plugs eaten down to the super glue. The only mobile suspects in my tank are the turbo, one damsel fish, and a sea serpent star that was a hitchhiker in some LR. He is about 3" across, including legs. I am going to give my electric flame scallop and pink tipped nem free passes, even though they have the ability to be mobile. Both are as lazy as teenage boys with a comfy couch, a bag of Doritos, and an X Box (they don't EVER move and are wedged in their spots as usual). So...whodunnit? Any guesses? I already pulled my 1/2" cuc hermits out last week because they were swinging from some polyps and did some damage. I have already been considering removing the turbo because he makes an astronomical amount of refuse.

Which leads to my third question: Is it possible to siphon fish/snail waste out without taking a bunch of sand with it or am I doing something wrong? And do you have to move the LR all the time to get the waste behind and between them, or is there a better way? Maybe I should just stick with corals. The damsel and turbo are fairly new and I'm not really attached to them, so I'm debating whether they are more work than they're worth. They make such a mess.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry for throwing so many questions in one thread.

Back
Top Bottom