Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
steve-s

LOL... sorry, for some stupid reason I thought you where in England

Try this instead....
http://www.ipsf.com/strombusfaqs.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve-s

Thank you once again.

I am anxious to get a couple of the conchs as I can already tell that my shallow sand bed is not as white as it once was. Plus I have the diatom problem. Is there a specific variety that I need to get? I want to be sure I tell my lfs exactly what to order. The link that you gave mentioned that that specific species can get quite large. Marine Depot has one called a captive bred queen conch. Also, should I plan on getting two or three or will one be enough? Thanks in advance.

Willem

Old 05-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve-s:

Sorry we must have been posting at the same time. OK so one species to try and get would be the Strombus Maculatus. They only get to be 0.5 inches in length? I always think of a conch as being grapefruit size for some reason. At that size I should probably try and get a half dozen or so at least?

Willem
Old 05-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #14
steve-s

I would stick with about 2-3 of the Maculatus to start with. They may seem small but they are eating machines. This species is also known to sometimes breed (and survive) in the home aquarium.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks once again. I contacted my lfs and they indicated that they can get conchs only certain times of the year. Any idea why this would be the case?

I'll try some of the marine aquarium places in Houston.

Willem
Old 05-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #16
steve-s

No idea. Could be a conservation effort towards a given area that allows no collection of any kind. Not sure though, I've never looked into it. Just a quick look on cites.org all I easily found was a partial ban on the Queen conch (Strombus gigas)

http://www.cites.org/eng/notif/1999/020.shtml

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I called one of the stores in Houston where I have purchased livestock in the past and they indicated that they have Conchs, but they have no idea what species it is. I asked the sizes and they said they were between 3/4 inches and 2.5 inches. Should I stay away from these since they could be a type of conch that gets quite large?

It seems like it would be very advantagous to get the species you mentioned, i.e. Strombus Maculatus.

Willem
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #18
steve-s

Be wary if they are unable to ID the species. More commonly, it could be a fighting conch but as you said, it could be a football.

Stick to what you are sure of and wait for it to become available.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-26-2005, 12:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK. I promise that this might be my last question about conchs.

I have now heard about queen conchs (Marine Depot sells them captive bred), fighting conchs, and Strombus Maculatus. Would any of these be good to get if I can find them? Is any one of them better than the others?

Thanks in advance once again.

Willem
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #20
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillemd1
OK. I promise that this might be my last question about conchs.
Ask as many as you like

Quote:
I have now heard about queen conchs (Marine Depot sells them captive bred), fighting conchs, and Strombus Maculatus. Would any of these be good to get if I can find them? Is any one of them better than the others?
I would avoid the queen, nice looking snail but a very large grower and voracious appetite. If you get the fighting conch, no more than two for the same reason. Smaller growing though.

The best option IMO would be the Strombus maculatus. As I said, try a few at first, you'll most likely end up with many more.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
diatom, diatoms, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com