Diatoms in sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have found a spot on my sand about 5 inches square that has some sort of algae like growth. When I went to try and clean it, it peeled off like a piece of carpet. It isn't hairy like hair algae. It is like someone painted the surface of the sand with a brownish green color. It seems to be right in the middle front of my 90 gallon aquarium which one might suspect has the least amount of flow since I have my power heads at both corners. Can someone tell me what causes this and what I need to do to prevent it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Willem

Its Diatoms, and its a good sign if your tank is new.

Get a snail and a hermit to start (I have some in mine, and I am noticing small amounts of hair algea... very small)

So I am going to get a hermit or two and a snail as well.

Actually, my tank is several years old. I moved it from a friends house about two years ago. I have been making some major changes, however, over the last couple of months. I have a refugium, aragonite sand substrate and I am using caulerpa in my refugium.

Could it be an indication that my Rowaphos is now spent? :?

Is it a sign of some other impurities?

Willem

awillemd1 said:
Could it be an indication that my Rowaphos is now spent?
Could be, how long has it been in there?

Is it a sign of some other impurities?
Diatoms are a golden/brown algae that will look like a dusting rather than sheets or film and are caused from silicates alone. Usually through the introduction of new rock, sand or the use of tap water. What you are decribing sounds a little like cyano. Is it more green or brown?

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s:

It looks golden/brown and it looks like a dusting. Another feature of it is that it peels off like a piece of carpet, i.e. it is deeper than just a dusting.

The RowaPhos might be 2 to 3 months old. I have made a lot of changes to my system in the last 4 months. I have added a refugium and aragonite sand, a dsb in refugium and I have caulerpa in the refugium.

When I first put the Rowaphos in there within a few weeks it seemed that all my hair algae died off. Now the hair algae appears to be coming back, but just a little and I am getting these diatoms. Obviously, it is difficult to put together a cause and effect. Probably the easiest thing for me to do is put more Rowaphos in and see what happens. I haven't checked my phosphate levels, but they have been unmeasureable for several months, so I have't bothered. This should probably be on my list as well.

I use RO/DI water. The DI column is new and the RO column is about 1.5 years old. I had it checked about a month ago at our local water supply place and it was fine.

Also, the golden/brown spot is now spreading as I have two more that are about 1 inch square now starting to show up.

I haven't purchased anything to help sift through the sand, so this seems to me to be a potential problem as well.

Any advice at this point would be most appreciated.

Willem

I would change your Rowa more often. Hair algae is driven by PO4/nutient and brown algae is driven by silicates. Both of which the Rowa will remove as long as it's not exhausted. Try changing it every 4-6 weeks to stay ahead of it. Once the fuge is running a while it should help immensely, just be sure to harvest the algaes regularly and toss them away.

You still need to determine where these fuel sources are coming from if your to be rid of it once and for all. Since the DI was newly added, it will take a bit of time for the "dilution" effect to be realized. Only thing left after that will be food sources and possibley additives.

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s:

Thank you for the reply. What did you mean by additives? How can they be a source of food. Also, I am a little worried that I don't have any critters stirring up my shallow sand bed. Should I be purchasing something to do this? I have read that aragonite can form into a brick over time.

Willem

awillemd1 said:
What did you mean by additives? How can they be a source of food.
Sugars, phosphates and vitamin "subsitutes" can often be added to the tank unaware of what secondary effects on a system might actually be. Most do nothing but what they where intended to. In a "suffering" system, an otherwise harmless additive or liquid food can become an algae fuel. I am not suggesting that you shouldn't use useful products, just be aware of what the contain, especially preservatives.

Also, I am a little worried that I don't have any critters stirring up my shallow sand bed. Should I be purchasing something to do this?
Keeping the sandbed healthy is quite important. It is easily accomplished by adding a good amount of nassarius and/or a few strombus species. Quite often that is all you need if the tank contains LR.

I have read that aragonite can form into a brick over time.
Sand clumping is actually more common in DSB's not SSB's but it's more commonly relative to heavy CaCO3 additions (calcium primarily, reactive with biofilm).

Properly balanced water chemistry along with an active and healthy sanbed will easily prevent this though.

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s

Thanks once again.

Will Nassarius snails reproduce in captivity? You stated 'good amount' of Nassarius snails, can you be more specific. My lfs ordered 15 for me at 1.59 each. I plan to put a few in my fuge and the rest in my tank substrate, but I am concerned that this isn't nearly enough.

Also, I couldn't find 'Strombus' snails, do they have a common name and can I get by with just the Nassrius.

Thanks again in advance.

Willem

awillemd1 said:
Will Nassarius snails reproduce in captivity?
You'll see various egg masses but they will almost never result in actual snails. The chances of them surviving the planktonic stage is quite rare.

You stated 'good amount' of Nassarius snails, can you be more specific. My lfs ordered 15 for me at 1.59 each. I plan to put a few in my fuge and the rest in my tank substrate, but I am concerned that this isn't nearly enough.
For a 90 gal 15 is an "okay" amount to start with, you may need more but it's better to build as needed. I would get extra if you wnat some for the refusium.

Also, I couldn't find 'Strombus' snails, do they have a common name and can I get by with just the Nassrius.
Stombus = Conch. Nassarius snails are not big on algae, they moreso help keep the sandbed aerated and consume detritus/food leftovers before they can create nuisance algae problems and nitrate issues. Stombus snails love algae and will consume diatoms and cyano, the nassarius won't. You can get by without it but you'll do that much better with it.

http://www.atlantisaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/Reef_Snails.html

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s

Thank you once again.

I am anxious to get a couple of the conchs as I can already tell that my shallow sand bed is not as white as it once was. Plus I have the diatom problem. Is there a specific variety that I need to get? I want to be sure I tell my lfs exactly what to order. The link that you gave mentioned that that specific species can get quite large. Marine Depot has one called a captive bred queen conch. Also, should I plan on getting two or three or will one be enough? Thanks in advance.

Willem

Steve-s:

Sorry we must have been posting at the same time. OK so one species to try and get would be the Strombus Maculatus. They only get to be 0.5 inches in length? I always think of a conch as being grapefruit size for some reason. At that size I should probably try and get a half dozen or so at least?

Willem

I would stick with about 2-3 of the Maculatus to start with. They may seem small but they are eating machines. This species is also known to sometimes breed (and survive) in the home aquarium.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks once again. :) I contacted my lfs and they indicated that they can get conchs only certain times of the year. Any idea why this would be the case?

I'll try some of the marine aquarium places in Houston.

Willem

No idea. Could be a conservation effort towards a given area that allows no collection of any kind. Not sure though, I've never looked into it. Just a quick look on cites.org all I easily found was a partial ban on the Queen conch (Strombus gigas)

http://www.cites.org/eng/notif/1999/020.shtml

Cheers
Steve

I called one of the stores in Houston where I have purchased livestock in the past and they indicated that they have Conchs, but they have no idea what species it is. I asked the sizes and they said they were between 3/4 inches and 2.5 inches. Should I stay away from these since they could be a type of conch that gets quite large?

It seems like it would be very advantagous to get the species you mentioned, i.e. Strombus Maculatus.

Willem

Be wary if they are unable to ID the species. More commonly, it could be a fighting conch but as you said, it could be a football.

Stick to what you are sure of and wait for it to become available.

Cheers
Steve

OK. I promise that this might be my last question about conchs. :)

I have now heard about queen conchs (Marine Depot sells them captive bred), fighting conchs, and Strombus Maculatus. Would any of these be good to get if I can find them? Is any one of them better than the others? :?

Thanks in advance once again.

Willem

awillemd1 said:
OK. I promise that this might be my last question about conchs. :)
Ask as many as you like :wink:

I have now heard about queen conchs (Marine Depot sells them captive bred), fighting conchs, and Strombus Maculatus. Would any of these be good to get if I can find them? Is any one of them better than the others? :?
I would avoid the queen, nice looking snail but a very large grower and voracious appetite. If you get the fighting conch, no more than two for the same reason. Smaller growing though.

The best option IMO would be the Strombus maculatus. As I said, try a few at first, you'll most likely end up with many more. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom